4l60e tranny filter help, please! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

4l60e tranny filter help, please!

98 k1500 z71 deep pan.

I thought I would save a hundred bucks and change my own tranny filter last night. Everything came off OK, messy but OK. The stock filter pulled off and left the seal in the tranny. No big deal, I followed the Haynes and removed the old seal. The new seal is the problem. I placed it in the bore squarely and tried to nudge it in further. No luck and I didn't want to bend it out of round so I followed instructions and puched the new filter in place. It popped into the new seal and slid up nicely and holds there without falling. The problem is the metal part of the seal is still hanging mostly out of the bore of the tranny. Everything bolted back up and no leaks. The tranny seems to shift fine and take loads fine. I worry air will be sucked in past the non seated seal and the tranny will slip and self destruct.

Is there a tool to drive this seal home? Does it need to be driven home? There was a ridge on the filter that would not let the seal pop out any further but it didn't help drive the seal home. Will I suck air in and burn up the tranny? Why the he!! didn't chevy put a drain plug on the pan?

Please respond with any input since I need to deal with this soon. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4l60e tranny filter help, please!

I used a long socket that fit the seal and tap, tap, taped it home.. Getting the orig one out was the hardest part for me.. Verify you got the entire old seal out first.. I hear ya on the no drain plug thing.. Nice warm oil puddling in your armpits is not fun.. Got a B&M 3 qt WITH plug in there now..

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

So do you think it "must" be bottomed out? I would say maybe 1/4 of it was in the bore. You know, I will have to pull the whole thing apart and get oily to fix this. I do want to make sure it is safe the way it is or I will pull the pan again. The Haynes didn't say to seat the bugger. Ugh, I think I need to pull it back down. What do you think about using the same seal after getting it off of the filter?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can get a kit to put a drain plug in your stock pan. real easy to put in, about 5 bucks from summit racing

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Next time dropping the pan may include a change to a big cast b&m pan with a drain plug.

I rechanged the filter on Friday. I was pretty worried about sucking air in and burning stuff up. The "put seal on filter and push the filter in place" method is what I did before and what only got the seal about a quarter of the way in there. I got a new kit and pressed the seal into the tranny with a large socket and then pushed the filter in place. This seemed very secure and correct.

It was a learning experience and I'm glad nothing broke. The other good news is I changed the pan fluid twice. Even 25 bucks twice is cheaper than 130 bucks once and I feel pretty darn good that it is in there correctly.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode