gear swapp - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

gear swapp

I want to regear my rear end to 456 but Ive never done one befroe and was just wondering how hard it realy is or is it easy. I know the gears have to be perfectly aligned but i think if I buy the tols to do it Ill still save by haveing a shop do it.
Id be just gearing the rear and Id probably pull the 3rd member later to do it, that way it would still be drive able, I might have to throw a locker in the rear to composate for not haveign the front axle though. actually I never use it so I could take my time on it.

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 01:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: gear swapp

You will need a setup kit for it, which you can buy from summit, comes with all the bearings, marking compound, ring gear bolts, seals and gaskets, and carrier shims. You will need to have access to a press and a bearing puller to remove the inner pinion bearing and carrier bearings respectively. A dial indicator with a magnetic base to measure the backlash, a 1/2" tourque wrench and a good instruction manual describing specs. Its not the easiest thing to do, but if you take your time and read carefully and triple check everything, then it will turn out fine and save you $cash$.

Good Luck,
Ryan

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 01:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was just thinking about it, mind you its 2:17 am but why couldnt you remove the front axle, air hammer out the cv shafts and drive without it? your suspension doesnt connect to it in any way. then you could get it all done at once. Sorry if this is a ridiculous idea, ill go to bed now lol

-Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 10:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bogginchevy hit the nail right on the head. I recently did this. I had a buddy who had done a few of these help me. If you take your time and have access to the proper tools you can do it and it's a neat learning experience. I went with Genuine Gear. They have a warranty that says they'll replace 'em even if you install them improperly and something goes wrong. Plus they sell a complete setup kit and they come with excellent detailed instructions.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 11:48 AM

When I worked at the dealership, I installed new ring and pinions on all the vehicles that came in. The big pain is setting up the backlash using shims. Changing shims and keeping the correct preload on the carrier bearings can be a pain in the a$$. Take your time, and give at least a weekend to do it right.

If you lived here in So Cal., a 12'er of bud and good music would get me out there to help.

A shim driver is nice to have too.

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

To deceive an enemy, pretend you fear him.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

derblank - I'm in So Cal what would it take to get some help doing the front ring and pinion?(IFS) A "CASE" of bud and some good tunes?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 01:33 PM

Where on the coast?? May be a possibility... do you have tools or would I need to bring mine?? Have a compressor?? I'm out in the sticks, but could make a roadie out of it.

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

To deceive an enemy, pretend you fear him.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 03:06 PM

Hmm, I'm in SOCAL and I have a 14FF to do and a Dana 60 to do. Shouldn't have mentioned that so-cal thing.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

ya your right you can drive without the fron axle, Ive done it before my CVs exploded due to extreme angles, but you have to leave the stub that goes through the hub assembly, and it so happesns Ive got the stubs to put back in it.
so 2 days should be plentiy of time to do the swapp, Id be doing just the rear for nowdont need the front.

thanks for the help guys, Ive got axle to all tools itl take to do the job so I think all I gota do is get the gears and Im set, even have axes to a lift wich will be real nice.

thanks again
Evan

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

derblank, I'm actually on the coast right next to LAX. Heck, if you've got all the tools I'll drive out to the sticks. Sounds like you have more resources than I do. When I did the rear I took it to my buddy's shop but he doesn't work there anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode