305 in a 3/4 ton Burban - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

305 in a 3/4 ton Burban

Here's the scenario...

1987 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4 (free), previous owner's kid ran the 6.2L Diesel engine out of engine oil while on the highway. I am examining the possibility of rebuilding the 6.2 because of its torque and fuel economy, but it's going to take a while for all the pieces to fall into place before I can reinstall the engine.

I have a pretty fresh 305 rebuild on the stand in the garage that I could swap in temporarily until I get the 6.2L financed and put back together. The 305 is pretty decent but lacks the torque of a 350. I have a radiator and radiator brackets suitable for a SBC (a Diesel radiator doesn't mate well with a SBC gasser)

Should I expect problems? (acceleration, driving up hills, etc)
1987 3/4 ton Burban, TH400/NP208, 3.73 gears, ~31" tires

Thanks,

Dan

If shortcuts were easy, they would just be The Way[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 01:37 AM

Re: 305 in a 3/4 ton Burban

What do you mean the diesel radiator dosent work wirh a SBC? My truck was a diesel and now has a 350 in it(done before I got it)and I am still running the big a$$ diesel one. The top hose is actually two but still works with no prob and the bottom is just one.

If it aint broke, keep fixing it till it is.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 03:11 AM

I know there's Blazers running around out there with 305's and 3.73's. Even though the Burban is a little heavier, it shouldn't be too bad.
I have the same truck. When the 6.2 blew up, the original owner put a new crate 6.5 with a Banks turbo in, and it's got 4.10 gears.
Anyone need a barn pulled down? LMAO

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 09:18 AM
ratlover

I got a rebuilt 307 in my 3/4 ton truck. its a 80 2wd. it dont do really bad but dont expect to take anyone off the line. it will barely get out of its own way but it aint dangerously slow. It will take hills ok, just dont run it down the 1320 unless you pack a lunch[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I had a blazer that had the front clip(including the radiator) and it had a 305, everything worked mint.

83 1/2ton 350 700r4 soon to be bigger
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 09:33 AM

I had a 350 in a 4x4 burb. It works OK, just dont think about towing anything larger than a sandrail (completely empty). I ended up re gearing just to get some lower end out of it. It had the 700 in it, but stayed in drive most of the time when trying to climb grades on the freeway. The motor will do until the 6.2 is completed.

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

To deceive an enemy, pretend you fear him.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 03:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can you use a diesel fuel tank in a gas application? Seems like a lot of trouble to swap in and then out again.

If it don't fit force it, and if all else fails get a bigger hammer!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmm,
I wouldn't want to drive that thing.

My 3/4 ton burban has 33's and 4.10 and a new vortec motor and it goes pretty good. But remember that your truck weighs ALOT more than a 1/2 ton blazer or even a 3/4 truck. Depending on the trucks 3/4 burbans had up to a GVW of 8500 or more. Mine is 8500.

It would suffice for a while, but I would think that if you were going to go to the trouble of switching the motor and fuel system that you would want to go ahead and build a 350/383/454 and stick with the gas.

Or wait and put the 6.2 back in it.

Or sell me the rig for cheap and I will use the axles to replace mine!!

Later,
Shane Bevel

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 06:04 PM

Shane...what would you give me for 87 K30 1 ton axles?
And I might be selling a 454TBI...that'll work for the Burban.

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 07:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'll give you five bucks for them. Imagine what my little isuzu would look like with a D60 and 14ff. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The reason I was even considering the temporary gasser conversion is because I am buying a house and need to move the truck from where it presently sits. It's only moving about 20 miles, so it's not too bad of a tow I guess. Just wanted it to be mobile for the short term.

Where can you buy a crate Diesel (just wondering)? All the crates I have ever seen are all gassers 350 cid and up.

Doing a gas conversion wouldn't be that bad... the only issue might be hooking up the ignition, but that would be easy enough to figure out with a VOM or test light. The gas tanks are interchangeable - just have to siphon out as much of the Diesel as possible before doing the gas swap and ALL the gas before converting back to Diesel. Gas in a Diesel engine would make it run like a RAPED APE... for about 2 seconds (maybe).

I might just end up waiting until I get into this new house (deep 3 car garage [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) and avoid the double duty of doing an engine swap twice.

8500 GVWR? WOW!!! I didn't know they weighed that much... my `84 3/4 ton only weights 5120# (curb weight as measured on a scale last week).

If shortcuts were easy, they would just be The Way[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode