new to this list intro - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 01:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

new to this list intro

This is my first time posting to this forum, I also post to the Suzuki samurai forum so sorry if that sig appears here. I have an '88 K3500 which I just got in March. Haven't driven it much due to fuel costs. It has a 454/Turbo 400, regular cab, longbed. I'm ready to do some work on it & will have some questions for the forum if this post get through.

Andy Bridgeman Longmont, CO '87 Samurai (Shih Tzuki)stock drivetrain/Calmini 2" SR/235-15 Hi Tec MT's/rem. doors with quick disconnects/Robyn 23 Chan CB/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 01:30 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: new to this list intro

welcome to the forum. I have an 88 crew cab woth a th400 and 454 so anything that i have done can be done to yours. I have asked a lot of questions about what can be doone to my truck as well so feel free to ask me anything. If i know i will let you know, if not someone else here will.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the quick reply. A couple things I want to address right away; 1-Serpentine belt seems to be out of alignment, shredded a new belt a while back & looks like maybe the smog pump needs to be shimmed out. Have you had a problem with this? 2-My turn signals, cruise control & wipers/washers are all controlled from the same stalk. Cruise doesn't work & wipers won't always shut off, wipers have a mind of their own. Any ideas here?
I have been busy with family, work, other vehicles etc. & am not familiar with the truck yet.
Complete specs for my truck: TBI 454/TH 400/NP241 ?/looks like a Dana 70 rear/ what do you call the IFS? just Chevy IFS?
My plans for the truck are to carry a camper & tow my Samurai. It will be used mostly on the street.

I don't know how to use two sigs so the Zuki sig is still here.

Andy Bridgeman Longmont, CO '87 Samurai (Shih Tzuki)stock drivetrain/Calmini 2" SR/235-15 Hi Tec MT's/rem. doors with quick disconnects/Robyn 23 Chan CB/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 02:19 PM

Actually your truck is much more simular to my truck than it is to Desert rats, his being a crew cab still has the solid front axle and the squar'r (?) bodystyle.
Anyway mine is a 1990 K3500 ext cab and I have the IFS also and the serpintine belt I have never had any problems with my belt or my wipers (Yet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img])
But the Phantom wiper syndrom is famous in Chevys replace the "Multifunction" post that controls all that stuff and the wiper ghost will go away.
(hey, It's hard to beat some one in a $500 Sami, hell they drive like they got NOTHING to loose, I mean what's the worst that could happen[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img])
(sorry I couldn't resist, they are pretty cool in my book[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do I have to get that control post/stalk from a Chevy dealer? Any idea of cost? I've owned too many vehicles to be offended by the "$500 Sami" remark. I had a '67 GMC C20, '68 Chev C10, drove my dad's '72 K5 a lot in high school back in the late 70's, '73 K5, '78 Jimmy, '81 GMC K2500 and Fords, Chryslers etc..
I need to get the truck in shape for winter driving & use it for household hauling chores. Next year I hope to have a cab over camper & will tow the Sami. (more generic sig)

Andy Bridgeman Longmont, CO '87 Samurai '88 K3500
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 10:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Your rear axle should be a GM 14BFull Floater

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Regarding the rear end I thought it would be a 14 also but it sure looks like a Dana 70. I thought the 70 was used on the Dually trucks. I'll have to look again when I'm doing some work on it this weekend.

Andy Bridgeman Longmont, CO '87 Samurai '88 K3500
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 11:27 AM

<font color=blue>If your truck is a dually, Then yes it is a D70, If it's a single wheel, Then it has the 14 bolt FF. That is all assuming of course nobody has changed it over the years.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Come on Come on listen to the 40's talk!</font color=blue>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 11:54 AM

As far as the cruise control handle goes, the go for about 50.00 if I remember right... easy to replace. Remove handle(twist slightly CCwise at base and pull out)Unplug under dash, connect mousing wire to the wire end, and pull up through steering column. Connect mousing wire to new wire and feed back down to connector. Push new handle in. They have a history of going south on the cruise control.
My .02 worth........

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

To deceive an enemy, pretend you fear him.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 12:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hmmm, I didnt know the duallyies had D70s, guess you learn something new every day

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode