New to 4x4ing, Have so many questions! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New to 4x4ing, Have so many questions!

Hey guys,

I'm new to the word of 4 wheelin' and have a bunch of questions:

I just bought a stock 85GMC 3/4 Tonne Pickup. It's got a 350HD on dual fuel (propane/gas). The rear axle is a 14bolt with the big drums and 8 lugs, I'm unsure of what's upfront. 3sp auto, tow package.

Question 1) I was thinking of tires in the 36" range. What lift would you reccomend for this size tire?

Question 2) From what little I've heard, my stock 14 bolt rear axle should be fine. What front axle will I need? What's the most likely axle for me to have up there?

Question 3) Are there any special considerations for 4x4ing on propane?

Question 4) Tell me about the 14bolt, What's the difference between Semi Floater and Full floater? Are these limited slip?

Question 5) Is there an easy way for me to identify what front axle I have?

Question 6) I believe the tow package means that I have an axle gearing in the 3.90 - 4:10 area. Will I need to change this gearing to run 36" tires? It's just a bush truck, won't be used for much haulin'

Well, this outa get me started. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 12:34 PM

Re: New to 4x4ing, Have so many questions!

Q1= 6" lift

Q2= Your rear is fine (I can't believe I just said that[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]) your front will probably be OK for quite awhile sort of depends on how hard you wheel it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Q3= ??? I don't know of any???

Q4= Semi floater has one set of bearings, the wheel turns on it, and it carries the weight of the truck.
A Full floater has two sets of bearings one carries the weight and the other is what the wheel spins on.
Therefore it is heavier duty but a semi floater is strong enough for most applications. (Also the FF has a larger ring and pinion)

Q5= OK first off this should help you ID your axles http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml
My guess is it is either a 10bolt or a D44.

Q6= You gear ratio is most likely either 3.73 or 4.10, with 3.73's and 36"s are going to make it a little gutless, Livable but definitely far from ideal.
4.10's and 36"s will be not too bad, and would not be worth the expense of changing the gears.
4.56's would be ideal! as a general rule it is only worth the expense of changing gears if you move two levels so 3.73 to 4.56 would be a justifiable swap.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Awesome! Thanks for all the info!

For my next questions:

Q7) What do most of you big-tire guys do for a spare? I really don't want to carry a 36" tire around with me.

Q8) What do you think of doing a 2in Body lift and a 4in suspension lift in order to reach 6" total lift?

Q9) How much harder is a 3" Body lift on this truck vs. a 2"?

Thanks alot for all the help guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 02:14 PM

Q7= usualy you carry a big spare, but as long as you don't have a Locker you can drive with a smaller tire (not recomended for long distances though)
You are still better off with a big spare[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Q8= nah, just do a 6" suspension, really the only reason to mix lifts is if you already have one and need to add more
(besides BL's are well,,, er,,, ah,,,, oh... I better not say it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

Q9= 2" dosnt look AS BAD, there now you see, you made me say it, now I'm gonna catch $hit[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 03:17 PM
Resurrection_Joe

I agree Scoob, they dont look that great at all, but to fit big tires without lifting it to the moon, its an option eh? I'd rather have a kid trim out fenders anyday than get a body lift, but just if he want's to know what it looks like I'll post a picture of the exact same setup he's talking about - MY TRUCK!

1978 K20, 355, TH 400, NP 205, D44, 14FF, 7" Lift, 36" TSL Radials
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-519316-truck.jpg (22.6 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 04:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

for the propane question, if you run propane while offroading you'll be just fine, unless you flip it, then it will sturt sucking vapor instead of liquid and the motor might have a hard time running, but then again if you flip it you have bigger problems [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. (provided you don't have some wierd safety locks on the propane system, considering that a stupid forklift tank has 1 regular valve plus 2 safety on one outlet... you get the idea, i would keep both tanks full, you can always flip the switch)

Will work for mods

Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 04:49 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If you travel to any out of the way places, make sure you carry a completely full tank or two of propane, because in some places (as hard as it may be to believe) you won't find any... Just like tryin' to find diesel in some more remote areas if you had to do that... Sometimes not available at all... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 07:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree about the bodylifts. since you have the money for a susp lift then just get the taller one and forget the idea of a bodylift, and if you do decide to get a body lift the 2" does look better, and there isnt any dif in installion. ones not harder than the other.

Why a bodylifts good. alot cheaper 120, camperad to a 1400-1600 susp lift, 500-800 for leaf sprung trucks. and can easily be removed ounce enough cash is saved for a susp lift

I just put a 3" bodylift on my 89 and have had mixed feelings, I almost decided to take it off a day after I installed it, Im just not to sure about it yet, It will def come off when or if i get a susp lift.

my thoughts on the lifts
Evan

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 10:13 AM

I thought I would catch $hit from the guy's with bodylifts, for saying I don't really like the look of Bodylifts. Instead it looks like they agree with me [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 01:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

nope were all on the same side

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode