dual exhaust - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

dual exhaust

I was looking at dual exhaust sysems and the company "Hearthrob" makes a complete cat back system for my truck for $230 for stainless tips and 170 for black. Has anyone ever ran this exhaust? I want a loud sound for my truck will this system produce a loud growl?

88'GMC sierra stepside-4X4,5.7EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: dual exhaust

get a 40 series flowmaster and take it to a muffler shop. get the look you want for a fair price, i got a muffler and the pipes put on with chrome tips for 200 bucks

92 Chevy z71 305 w/ Crane Compucam,40 series flowmaster, hypertech chip, eldebrock performer intake, eldebrock chrome air cleaner, headers,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 08:20 PM
Kendog454

That last post got the gears turnin' in my mind.......could a y-pipe be ran on a later model truck into a cat then a flowmaster followed by a turndown (i.e. not going all the way back to the stock exit or wherever)? I've never seen it on late model trucks......on mine I have straight dual exhaust, on the left side a straight pipe and on the pass. side the bent pipe for the t-case goin into 2 dynomax mufflers respectively followed by turndowns. Would there be any problems doin this on a later model truck up to the 2002 models?

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 09:58 PM
BigBlueZ71

Get a flowmaster 40series, delta flow if you want, its quieter in the cab but still has a ferocious growl outside...and yes take it to a exhaust shop and they can custom bend up some pipes, I had my whole system installed for 190 bucks. 3 1/2 chrome tips and all.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

I think as long as the exhaust exits behind the passenger compartment and pioints away from the vehicle(the turndown)you are good.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

kendog - theres no problems with that. as a matter of fact, when i rebuild my motor im gonna run headers to dual flowmasters with turndowns right at the back of the cab. save money on the exhaust and not have to worry about polishing or crushing tips. actually, i ran the setup youre talking about (y-pipe to single flow except mine had dual outs with no pipes) for a couple weeks till i had time to get over to gainesville and put the pipes on. only difference was it being louder b/c the sound was echoing off bottom of bed but i didnt have turndowns, they might help that

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:28 PM
Kendog454

mphZ71 - I was looking on your site and I saw the picture of your engine bay. How did you get the chrome air filter on there? I ask because I may be soon getting a '95 2500 and your picture inspired me to do the same......but I want to know if it's possible. I dont much care for the long-ass tube goin to a space next to the radiator or someother asthetically displeasing location. So what I'm getting down to is: how can it be done??

PS- How again do I insert pictures and links in my signature?

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

its very simple kendog. you just unbolt all the stock airbox crap, yank it out and put the new one on. mine is the k&n kit. it was like $60 from summit and included chrome top and bottom parts along with a 15x4" air cleaner. i believe the base drops about 1/2" it isnt totally flat. the only thing is b/c i opted for the taller 4" filter (instead of stock 3"), the stud wasnt tall enough so i just got a piece of allthread from ACE and bent it myself, very easy though. only drawback to my setup is that you lose the tube that sucks hot air from the manifold before the engine heats up but i live in florida so i really dont have to worry about that one! any more questions and im happy to help!

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 12:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

check around at the local exaust shops ans see how there building there systems, Ill bet a few of the more pop shops are just bying prebent pipes but chargeing more since everyone thinks they do the bending, thats what i found out here, I was in ashop and they had prob 100 tail pipes on the wall, so I asked if hed sale just a pipe and he was hesitant but he did sale it to me for 60 bucks, so My whole system cost me 110 for everything and thats encluding some pipe infront of my new cat.
Just a thought

Also ford tail pipes work great since the exit at a 45 thats what I got

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 12:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

heres a site thats worht checking out
http://www.neweraexhaust.com/mikespecials.htm

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode