Off Roading Forums banner

Power upgrades......

457 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Shorts 
G
#1 ·
Does anyone know of some power upgrades aside from headers and exhaust for a 1990 Chevy? My buddie's got one and we're tryin to squeeze a lotta power out of his stock 350. Thanks.

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY

G
#2 ·
You could always add a K&N filter, get a chip, larger intake throttle body, throttle body spacer, dual electric fans, new pulleys...mixed reviews on them though, hell go all the way and toss some $$$ into a whipple supercharger. It all just depends on how much money your willing to fork over. Heck get a new cam, heads, lifters,..etc and really pull out some xtra horses! The possibilites are really unlimited, just depends on your cash flow...

- Rick - 98' GMC X-Cab Z-71 33 X 12.50 BFG MT, 2" Body Lift

G
#3 ·
ramjet 502 with that whipple rick98z talking about

or start with building the engine, I am sure that 90 has some miles on it, no sense putting a bunch of bolt-ons on a tired motor.

DJ(dude)

G
#4 ·
I'd have to second that for rebuilding...add-ons will just get to back to stock power if the motor is tired and worn out. Rebuild and put what you want on it. That way you can make it as tame or extreme as you want it to be...

- Rick - 98' GMC X-Cab Z-71 33 X 12.50 BFG MT, 2" Body Lift

G
#5 ·
What will I have to look out for concerning inspection. I have my ol' 4 bolt from my 85 Scottsdale in my shed......could I drop this in there provided I get a mech. fuel pump block off plate? How about some Vortec heads, high compression and a Holley double-pumper?? I'm not too fond of fuel injection, although I am well aware of its advantages....I dont know why, but I love the fact that I have a carbureted motor. This should bolt up to the existing 5-speed right? FYI though.......the truck has only 64k original miles.

P.S. -- how do I get a picture at the end of my post??

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY

#6 ·
Tranny will bolt up fine. Vortec heads is a great wa to imporve power on the SBC. If you get the fuel pump block off plate, make surethe seal is good or ou could lose out on a good trade because it starts leeking in the first 100 miles of a 400 mile trip and then it will really piss you and the other guy off.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.

G
#7 ·
I guess you're looking for cheap upgrades...try flipping your stock air cleaner top. Just take off the wing nut and flip the top, then throw the bolt back on. Since you already have headers and exhaust, the motor is starving for air. This'll help it breathe easier. It'll also sound like a 4-barrel when you get on the loud pedal.

Any small block after '56 should bolt right up to any tranny after then. Gotta love GM. Find something that works and stick with it. If you do end up going with Vortec heads, you're going to need a different intake manifold. The two center bolts on the manifold are closer together than on pre-'87 manifolds.

#8 ·
the flipped airlid won't do much except make a lot of noise....the hot air kills the truck's low power....i know from experience. set up some tubing and such to get some air from outside, not under the hood. there have been several intake mods that have been posted...i know bigbri did the 4" tubing thing, i've done one as well.

Shorts

Your what is stuck? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.