Diesel Techs; getting a 6.2L running again...
I just started tearing into the 6.2L in my `87 Burban that I picked up for free earlier this summer. The engine is supposedely seized from running with almost no oil in the case.
Heres what I did today...
- Pulled the glow plugs and sprayed penetrating oil in the holes.
- Removed the flexplate cover on the transmission for access to the flexplate
- Shifted transmission to Neutral
- Tried rolling the engine over with a prybar on the flexplate, didn't work (can't apply enough torque)
- The harmonic balancer has 4-15mm bolts around it (no bolt in the center). I put a socket on two opposite bolts and got a pry bar between to apply torque to the crank. I could only apply maybe 75 or 80 ft-lbs before something slipped. The crank didn't turn this way.
Any ideas on how I can apply more torque to the crank to try to free it up? I don't want to use the starter yet.
If this thing really is seized up, what exactly would be seized? I'm assuming that the main and rod bearings may need replacing, crank may need turning. Any suggestions where to get parts?
If shortcuts were easy, they would just be The Way[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]