Diesel Techs; getting a 6.2L running again... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 09:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Diesel Techs; getting a 6.2L running again...

I just started tearing into the 6.2L in my `87 Burban that I picked up for free earlier this summer. The engine is supposedely seized from running with almost no oil in the case.

Heres what I did today...
- Pulled the glow plugs and sprayed penetrating oil in the holes.
- Removed the flexplate cover on the transmission for access to the flexplate
- Shifted transmission to Neutral
- Tried rolling the engine over with a prybar on the flexplate, didn't work (can't apply enough torque)
- The harmonic balancer has 4-15mm bolts around it (no bolt in the center). I put a socket on two opposite bolts and got a pry bar between to apply torque to the crank. I could only apply maybe 75 or 80 ft-lbs before something slipped. The crank didn't turn this way.

Any ideas on how I can apply more torque to the crank to try to free it up? I don't want to use the starter yet.

If this thing really is seized up, what exactly would be seized? I'm assuming that the main and rod bearings may need replacing, crank may need turning. Any suggestions where to get parts?

If shortcuts were easy, they would just be The Way[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 09:10 AM
blt2ski

Re: Diesel Techs; getting a 6.2L running again...

Go over to the Diesel page and chaeck out the advertisers there. Many have rebuilt engines, parts etc depending upon the amount of HP you want out of the engine. You may wish to post over there if you have not done so as there are many mor folks that work on diesels.
Marty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as turing the motor over to see if it is seized, I would just go and buy a generic flywheel tool at a parts stor. They are about $40. They grab the teeth of any fly wheel and allow you to turn it either way.

I can turn over my 9.5:1 vortec with that tool and the plugs in place. If that won't turn it over........ buy a rebuilt motor.

Later,
Shane

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shane -

I've never seen one of these tools... who makes it and what's it look like?

If shortcuts were easy, they would just be The Way[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ummm not sure who makes it but I think that we bought ours at sears or someplace.

Just checked the snap on site (snapon.com) and they make two. Do a keyword search for "flywheel" and the one for 66.00 is the one that I have. They also make another one for 16.00 I have no idea what it is or how you use it.

They look kinda like a spanner wrench with one lip on the top and a lip on the bottom. Each lip grabs a tooth and off you go.

Later,
Shaneb

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode