how should i put this...my MSD COIL CRAPPED OUT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how should i put this...my MSD COIL CRAPPED OUT

Well, we all heard about the MSD coil and spark plug thing (got quiet about it lately). Well two days ago im driving along at mearly 45 in a 45 hmmm hmmm yeah, and all of a sudden my rpms drop from ~1700? to 0, total vrooommmm........ gone, out cold, nothing except for all those check engine, service engine soon etc lights, which was interesting, nothing ever went out on me like that before, not a single missfire, nothig just gone (can't get over that part heheheh).
in any case, i had the coil ~5? months and its dead, the old coil is back in and i didn't even regap the plugs back to original spacing, runs fine the way it is. (i put the old coil in to the box the MSD came in, im one of those people that goes "that might be useful one of these days").
the reason im posting this is because i know some of you have those, and i just might have gotten a crapy one, but for the past month or two i had to crank the truck twice as long to get it started, when i put the old coil back in i grinded the starter a little, it starts like it used to now. so if you have that problem you might wanna keep that old coil handy.
im gonna give the MSD another try if they send me a new one on warranty thing, if not then screw them, i don't plan on replacing coils with every oil change.
and ill shut up now. ehhehehe

Will work for mods

Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 08:13 PM

Re: how should i put this...my MSD COIL CRAPPED OUT

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Did you run heavier wires to the thing? If not you will want to consider it. What sort of plugs do you have? Higher voltage devices like the blaster coil and the MSD boxes don't like the fancy plugs as much as they like just plain old copper ones... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a few thoughts...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 10:11 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the warning.

I just put an MSD coil in mine ~2 months ago. I also used the MSD 8.5 mm wires as well as replacing the cap, rotor, and plugs. i used the cheaper copper plugs based on what I leraned here.

I would like to know more about your setup so we can compare. Let us know how MSD handles your warranty claim.

JaxZ71
94 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT, 16x8 AR Nitro, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Trailmaster 4" lift.
Lousy glasspacks and rusted Westin step bars [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 11:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ive got the accel coil not msd but I left the stock coil in its pplace so all I have to do is unplug the accel and plug the stock if it decides to go.

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 05:48 AM

I spend some time on the Camaro BBS too, and there is an ignition expert who said that the red case MSD coil (blaster 2 specifically, but may apply to others) burns out about 50% of the time. The chrome body coil is built in a different factory, and works well. This may all be bull, but in all of his other posts he really knows his sh*t.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 01:03 PM

sorry to hear about that. hopefully MSD will do you right by replacing it or refunding your money.

copy the serial number down and stuff, then send it to MSD and have them analyze it and see what pooped out. that way you know if it was a dud, or if it should be something for everyone to watch out for.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 04:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

all i had was the coil, regular wires and regular spark plugs. the plugs wires and the cap and rotor are about a year and a half old now so i didn't touch that stuff.
i wanted to put in some bosch platnums (not the +4 ones) but i heard that they don't work well with a higher compression engines (i loved them on my sunbird) any truth to that?

Will work for mods

Current mods--&gt; 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 05:04 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I have Bosch platinums (the basic ones) in my S truck and they work well, however that's not really a high compression engine... I don't think any spark plug will work better or worse in a high or low compression engine... What will help is a spark box so you get a hotter spark and the ability to run a higher gap. Did you increase the gap on your plugs when you added the MSD coil? If you increased it, that could be part of the problem right there... Because when that happens the coil saturation and all that crap gets messed with... I don't recall the exact thing it does, but it's not all that good... With a spark box it's alright since you have the power going to it to successfully run a considerably bigger gap ok... Just a few more thoughts...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Are you saying that I should lessen the gap I put in my plugs? They are Champion copper plugs.

I gapped them to about .050, but it seems to run fine. Should I cut it down to .045 or even .040?

JaxZ71
94 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT, 16x8 AR Nitro, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Trailmaster 4" lift.
Lousy glasspacks and rusted Westin step bars [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: how should i put this...my MSD COIL CRAPPED O

The platinum plugs suck in high compression motors. But what are you calling high compression?

We had problems with them in a turbo buick that we raced. The car would "die" when the boost gauge was tapping about 22psi. (That is on 8.5:1 static compression for those who care) and I had problems with them in my street t-type too. much less boost in that one.

Those motors are high compression, typically truck motors (especially pre-vortec) are not. I still wouldn't suggest you run them. (see below)

As for your MSD coil, just send it back and get another. High performance ignition parts have a high failure rate. At least in my experience. If it fails again then get your money back and replace it with a stock coil, since, honestly, you probably don't need an MSD on an almost entirely stock motor.

As far as plugs being effected by compression, they are. The higher the compression the harder it is to produce a spark. (Ever had a weak coil that would spark with the plug out of the motor, but not in it?) This is because the air is more dense blah blah blah.

If you have a higher compression motor, generally you have to run less gap or more juice. Or both.

In the case of the platinums....... They just didn't have the sh!t to spark under pressure (no pun intended) we replaced them with Champion Truck plugs and they worked like a charm. Huge electrodes and heavily built. I have run these in almost every motor I have owned and love them. AC Delco also makes a truck plug series.

Later,
Shane Bevel

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode