M/T Classic & BFG MT KM - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

M/T Classic & BFG MT KM

After waiting for more than a year, the new BFG MT KMs are finally available. I saw these tires on a Toyota 4x4 at one of Michelin's proving grounds this weekend, and I must say they look absolutely awesome! The only question I still have is about tire and wheel size for a Chevy (sorry to bring it up again guys).

I have a 2000 Chevy 3500 4x4 with the snow plow prep package from Chevy, but no lift. I want to install a set of 16x8 M/T Classics or M/T Classic IIs with the a set of LT265/75/16 BFG MT KMs. Does anyone out there have the 8-lug M/T Classics or Classic IIs on a similar truck that they could post? Can anyone tell me for sure if either of these combinations will fit with no tire rubbing? The Classics have a 4.5625" backspacing and the Classic IIs have a 5" backspacing. Even though the Classic IIs might provide more tire clearance, I really want to put the Classics on my truck. I've seen some posts that say LT285/75/16s mounted on 8" rims will fit without a lift, but I just don't see how it's possible. The 4" wider track of the 2500 and 3500 will surely cause interference problems with 285s, but will 265s fit without rubbing?

If someone has personal experience with this configuration, I'd love to get your feedback (and images if possible).

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 08:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: M/T Classic & BFG MT KM

For a little clarification, my truck is a K3500 (not a new 3500HD). This truck is essentially the same as all 1988-2000 model K2500s (w/ 8-lug wheels) & K3500s. I have no lift, but the front height measures 22.25" from hub CL to fender lip of wheel well.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 09:40 PM
Veteran

Mark-

I live up here in Ontario and there are tons and tons of guys that have 2500&3500 plow trucks and there are quite a few that are running 33"x12.5" tires on 15x10" rims with out problems because they have the front bumper moved out so the plow part(not exactly sure what that huge bracket thing is called) can fit inbetween the frame and the bumper.

I talked to one guy and he said he did have some rubbing on the rear part of the fender but he just cut a little and you can't even see it.....even if you are looking for it!!!

I know guys with Truck Pull trucks that are running 35"x12.5" tires on 88-98 body's only with a SFA at stock height without there front bumper and don't have any problems at all. So I am sure 33's will fit just fine for you.

Good luck...Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure about the 3/4 and 1 ton models, but one of my buddies has a '99 1/2 ton 4x4 with no lift and he's running 285/85/16 BFG T/A's on the stock rims with no rubbing.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:04 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Personally, I think the wider track of the 2500/3500 makes 16X8's look a little goofy unless you're VERY careful with the backspacing. Do you get into a lot of snow? How 'bout some 16X7's & 255/85R16's???</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First thing...I made a mistake. He's running 275/85/16 BFG's, not 285/85's. And I thought that the stock rims are 16X6.5 inch. Really don't see much snow out in NC, except maybe a day or so all year. Since I have a 2wd truck, I'm probably going to (for now) stay with the stock ims, but go up to 265/75/16's. I found a set of Pirelli Scorpions at Tirerack.com for $90 each. I don't think that's all too bad a price, and I've heard nothing but good about them. They're supposed to be a on/off-road sport tire, which sounds good to me. I've also heard about a couple of guys who run the Scorpions in the Baja 500 a while back. I figure if they're good enough for that, then they'll be able to handle the occasional curb...or Honda...whatever. It's the same thing, isn't it?

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. If it is broke, dont replace it, upgrade it. And if you think it's broke and it won't come out, make it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode