Front 4WD twisted - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front 4WD twisted

Alright,since the wreck, i have overhauled the tranny, replaced the rearend, had all the body work damaged fixed, new tires and now the shop tells me the front end of my 97 yukon is just too twisted up to get a decent ride. no matter what they do it pulls to the right and EXTREMELY vibrates at 60+ mph. Any suggestions. and hey, the insurance company still is footing the bill. mick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 10:49 AM

Re: Front 4WD twisted

well the only way to find exacly what's wrong is to tear everything down and inspect every part [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] that'll take a while. first, make sure that your frame is straight...that can be hard to tell and cause lots of trouble. you could pull your front axle shafts and see what they look like. make sure your tbars or straight, check the upper and lower control arms

vibration...ok, you know the basics for that. tires and wheels balanced, lug nuts secured, balanced driveshaft, snug all tranny and tcase mounting bolts, check your steering components(centerlink, pitman and idler arms), endlinks, tie rod....i can't think of anymore [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmmm....sounds to me like somebody could get a free solid axle swap done by a 4x4 shop [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] get an estimate from a dealer to replace the whole IFS front end and submit it to the insurance then take that money to a 4x4 shop and they could build a killer setup for that price and it would save you the hassle!!

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 11:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MPH that was exactly what I was thinking.. even if they wouldn;t foot the whole bill they might cover a good portion of it.
Cody Lee

Keep honking I am reloading!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 06:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmmmmmmmmmmm i like the way you think fellas. D60 or grey poupon anyone?!
a fella just quoted me $5k for a straight axle swap, sounds a little steep to me, watcha say?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 07:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

thats probably about right since he would have priced everything high. 750 for brackets Ive seen as high as 800 for the axle, then prably another 800 to a grand for the t-case. then you have to add all the little stuff together like lift springs, close to 500. steering components, and it goes on and on. but ya it adds up alot.

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 07:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

new t-case? you're right! it'll have to be swapped unless i use a ford axle (driver's side drop). it might be better to use a ford to keep the matched components, this rig only has 75k orig miles, still new really.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mick - that is a good price if you have a shop do it if you do it yourself then you could get the parts for about $3500, but you gotta remember - thats a lot of labor you will be paying a shop for

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode