Off Roading Forums banner

tranny lost 3rd and 4th....

537 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  90K5 
#1 ·
Lost 3rd and 4th last night on the highway, going about 65, and it started slipping, then lost the gears. had to limp home in 2nd, TC had been acting strange for about a week...anything I can do to make this rebuild last a little longer? 1st rebuild was at 91K, TC went out at 117K, and its at 144K now. Already have a cooler, and have changed the fluid 2-3 times since I bought it at 124K. Thanks

90K5

See less See more
G
#2 ·
This may sound trite, but when things like that break, upgrade them. I wanted to keep a 700R4 in mine with a np208, but when I thought it over and talked a bit to the tranny guy, I decided to go for a three speed. I looked a little and found a th400 and np205 for $600. I expect it to last a good long time.

Now I dont know what you want to hear. I'd go for the 3 speed, but thats just me. My gas mialage actually improved with the TH400. That's probably just because my 700R4 was screwed 8 ways to sunday though.

If you want to keep a 700R4, I think just save for a JET or B&M. They are warrentied. I think.

On a side note, if you go for a 700 R4, I have an np208 that works great I'd sell you for dirt cheap. Just because your my buddy. ^_^

To keep a rebuilad longer, I dunno, try racing tranny fluid? Don't hammer on it /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif?

Anyway, I hope it all goes well for you. Good luck.

1978 K20, 355, TH 400, NP 205, D44, 14FF, 7" Lift, 36" TSL Radials

#3 ·
I really like the 700 for the lower 1st and OD. Already have an NP241. Planning on a few upgrades along with the rebuild, hopefully it will last a little longer than this rebuild did...

90K5

G
#4 ·
I don't have a direct answer, but what I've been told is to visit a lkist of local trany/speed shops and just talk to the guys, and check the places out - Most places use certain parts, for certain reasons. Unless your planning to rebuild yourself....

-Ut

#5 ·
I want a 4L80E from a 2wd with a divorced 203/205 doubler attatched. I think this would be a kick a$$ combo for my bohemoth. It would lengthen the front drive line some too so my drive shaft angle wouldn't be that drastic. I would also have overdrive and be able to put in lower(4.88 or 5.13) gears in the axles.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.

G
#6 ·
Yeah, a 4l80e is difinately in my future. But I think I'm gonna let this 60e kill itself, and then see if I have the cash for the swap or just a beafy rebuild. The swap would make our trucks awesome... with a 14SF (another planned upgrade) to back it up, they'd be unstoppable....almost. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

-Ut

G
#7 ·
700r4, get kevlar clutches for starters. You can do up to 10 clutches in the 3-4 band, also upgrade the servos. Along with the planetarys, and the sun gear. I would also get a HD converter. I paid 1200 for my rebuilt 4L60E, and so far so good, I did have an issue with it getting hot and putting fluid through the vent tube, scaring the tar out of me.

Rhino

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.