87 Silverado Broken frame at steering gearbox - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 10:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

87 Silverado Broken frame at steering gearbox

I have read several posts and understand that the frame breaking at the steering gearbox is not unusual on the older Chevy Trucks. What I would like to know is how to repair/reinforce this area. Everything I have read tells me it will break but I can find no information on repairing it.
I am currently running a 33x12.5 Goodrich All-Terrain A/T tire and I have had the truck a year and a half and have yet to take it off road.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.
Briar

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 11:26 AM
muddfred

Re: 87 Silverado Broken frame at steering gearbox

The steering box can crack the frame and mounting bolt holes. This can happen with stock size tires. OffRoad Design has the frame reinforcement kit if you frame is already cracked and a support bar to use if it isn't cracked already. The frame kit is welded on and the support bar is a bolt on.
Go to http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm to see what each kit is. My frame was cracked and I used both kits to handle my 42s.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow. Thank you very much. The weld on kit looks like exactally what I need.

Can you tell me how much was involved in installation? Would this be a couple of hour job or something that would take a weekend? Does the kit fit up good or is there any modification that needs to be done?

Thanks for your time,
Briar

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 01:40 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Best of luck to you. I can't really offer anymore info, but get the repair kit and brace and you'll have indestructo frame at that corner. Like the other guy said, sandwiching them together will make it very strong. Shawn mentioned it when I was picking up my tires.

And now to my main point, THANK YOU! I forgot to order a frame brace and desperately need too and you reminded me. If ya ever need anything, call me.

1978 K20, 355, TH 400, NP 205, D44, 14FF, 7" Lift, 36" TSL Radials

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode