HELP!! Any brake experts out there?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HELP!! Any brake experts out there??

OK, heres the deal. I swapped the rear discs onto my 12 bolt. Everything worked perfectly up until I connected the lines and tried to bleed. I get no pressure to the calipers. It comes out in a little dribble, my brake light is on steady, and I am lost. I bled them before the T fitting before they split at the diff, then at the calipers, then at the bleed screw. No air comes out, but like I said just a dribble of fluid. The fronts work good, and they bled fine. I looked at the proportionin g valve (on advice) and clamped the little pin in, then bled again. No change. Light is still on. Seems like a new proportioning valve is needed?? What is the deal with the little pin? Is that the way to do it? Is there any other options I can look at? Like eliminating it completely? Or bypassing the rear part of it? A new one is like 130.00 from GM, but there is a performance one that some guys use for mud racing, that you can adjust your pressure to the rear and front. Has anyone needed to change thiers?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Thumper 2
85 fullsize Jimmy
http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 09:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP!! Any brake experts out there??

for the rear discs to be realy effective you should have a differant prop valve anyway but for now youre problem is the vavle has shut off youre rear brakes . manualy clamping in the pin will most likely not work and could damage the valve.the best way to fix this is to back bleed the system but you need a pressure bleeder to do this, otherwise you can start bleeding at the master and work youre way back it takes time but usualy works

when in doubt, let er feed
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

By back bleeding, you mean to use the pump at the wheels and push the fluid back up to the master cylinder?? Will the stuck valve let that work? Or will it reset itself?

Thanks for the info!

Mike

Thumper 2
85 fullsize Jimmy
http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 11:44 AM
muddfred

The master cylinder also has a check valve to prevent the brake fluid to the rear wheels from going back to the resivoir. The is a little brass piece in the master cylinder just inside of where the brake line screws in. It can be pulled out by using a little screw and pulling the assembly out. The check valve is then pulled out and the sleeve put back it. This might be stuck and not giving you any fluid to the rear. This valve isn't needed with discs and can cause problems by not letting the calipers release the discs when the pedal is released.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode