Stock '98 K1500 crossed 39" deep water - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stock \'98 K1500 crossed 39\" deep water

My stock '98 K1500 extended cab, long bed with the 350 recently crossed a 1/3 mile 39 inch deep flood on a road that was completely washed out. It was the ONLY vehicle to make it through. I couldn't believe it was that deep, and that the truck made it through, and everone on the side of the road cheered me on as I maneuvered passed the floating Ford Contours, Acura Legends, and 30 or so other cars and trucks that stalled and were floating in this huge flood. It was unbelieveable, and I would NEVER do it again,but it was a sick thrill. I had re-routed all of the vent hoses to about 45 inches in a shielded area in the engine compartment when I bought the truck new in '98. After checking all of the fluids there was no water ingestion into the auto trans, rear axle, or front axle/differential. The truck works perfectly, and the 350 never missed a beat through the shole thing. The only thing that happened was that water entered the passenger cabin through the front kick panels ( where the hood release is, and also on the passenger's side), not from any other location. There was about 4 inches of water in the cab by the time I had completely crossed the flood. I only have a rubber mat, no carpet, 'cause mine is the lowest trim level (Cheyenne), but the sound insulation underneath got soaked so I bought a whole new mat with new sound insulation and through the old one out. This cost me $365. I also sealed up the cut outs in the kick panels where the water came through. The flood was about 1/3 mile long, so it took a long time to get through it. I drove at a very slow speed which created a bow wave in front of the truck, however at one point wake from an incoming wave actually reached the top of the front of the hood. It took me a while to clean all of the leaves out of the A/C condenser, and radiator. Anyway, I would not recommend that anyone try this, ESPECIALLY if your vent hoses for the auto transmission, and rear axle are not raised. Still I have to say it made me VERY PROUD of my Chevy Truck.

Like A Rock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:42 PM

Re: Stock \'98 K1500 crossed 39\" deep water

<font color=blue>Man you should feel proud!!!! Thats just awesome! Where might I ask is this big flood you had to go through? I looked in your profile and you live in Long Island?!? Did the sewers blow up and flood the subways and really mess things up?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Come on Come on listen to the 40's talk!</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It was during high tide, and the drains were already unable to discharge the rain water because the tide was above the discharge level. The rain water had no place to go, and turned the roads into a harbour. It was really unbelieveable. SOme people took pictures of me driving through, I wish I could get a copy of one of them. The bow ties in the front of the grill, was COMPLETELY submerged and the water was about half way up the headlights (about 3 to 4 inches below the front of the hood). It seems asthough the design of this truck prevented the engine compartment from getting alot of water in it. I would guess that the level of water in the engine compartment was less than outside the vehicle, because there weren't any leaves and debris iside the engine. Maybe that area stayed comparateively "drier" than the freakin area in front and on the sides of the truck. I remember when I bought this truck, I looked at the air intake design for the Fords, and Chevy seems to use a superior design. The intake is about as high in the engine compartment as it can be, AND it is routed INTO the right front fender so that even if the water level rises to the air intake, you have some chance that inside the fender the water level will be lower at least for a while. I opened up the air cleaner after I passed through the flood, and the air filter was completely dry. There are drain holes at the bottom of the air cleaner, but apparently no water got in via those holes. This was a turning point for me that has extinguished any doubt in my mind that Chevy trucks are really the best trucks.

Like A Rock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what about youre fan ive been in deep water many times and if its more than 20 to 30 ft the fan will submerge and destroy the radiator removing the lower part of the shroud will help some but 1/3 mile at headlight depth

when in doubt, let er feed
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You know it's funny that you mentioned that, because someone who does river crossings in a 4WD in Iceland warned me about that, and as the water reached the headlights, I said to myself," **** I hope the fan blades don't warp, and carve into the radiator. If you look at a '98 K1500 w/ the 350, there is ALOT of distance between the fan and the radiator. The fan blades would have to be nearly horizontal to cause damage. Also, the shroud around the radiator apparently diverted the water away from this area,and since the A/C condenser was almost entirely covered with leaves, I think ( guessing) not much water was really coming throught the A/C condenser, or the radiator. The more I think about this, I think most of it was great engineering on the part of GM engineers, and a little bit of good old fashion luck. Guys, this water was DEEEEEEEEEEP. People were in complete shocked as they watched me trudge through, and even more shocked that I made it through.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

The question is, "why did you do it?" Were you late for work? I think the boss would understand something like this.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 03:46 PM
Mud in my Veins

Could you give us some details on the rerouting of the vents for the axles and tranny? I'm interested in doing this. Pictures would be great too.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AJMBLAZER,

I went to Home Depot and bought 25 feet of 3/8 inch tubing from their plumbing department. I also bought those plastic straps that you feed through a very small slit, and you can tighten them by pulling them through the slit, but you can't un-tighten it, I don't know exactly what they are called. You have to cut the plastic strap when you want to get rid of them for any reason. Anyway.

For the automatic transmission (4L60E)

This is the critical one. First because the trannny is so vital and so sensitive to water, and second because the vent hose is not very high, and it points down. The vent hose for my truck was a black rubber hose that you can reach from the driver's side, of the tranny. Take a flashlight, and crawl under the driver' side of the truck where the tranny is. It's about midway between the torque converter and the universal joint. Just keep looking and you'll see the stock vent hose. I also bought those screw-type clamps ( like they use for radiator hoses etc.). I decided to place the vent hose in the front of the engine compartment on the driver's side about 6 inches from the back of the headlight assembly. This area is right where the auxilliary battery would be ( my truck doesn't have one). I used the plastic ties about every 9 inches and affixed each tie to a component that didn't move. I also made sure that the wheels/tires/suspension components would not come into contact with the hose. I routed it along the frame ( there are brake lines affixed to the frame as well) then up near the power brake master cylinder, and along the driver's side fender. There are cut outs in the fender that make it possible to secure the hose to the fender with the plastic ties. Make sure that you tighten the new hose to the stock vent hose tightly, but not so tight that you squeeze the stock vent hose shut, otherwise you would have no venting. You want it to be tight enough so that fast moving water, or general debris won't pull it off either.

Rear Axle

The stock rear axle vent hose runs from the axle to the driver's side rear wheel area right to the top of the INNER side of the frame/chassis.
I did a strange thing with the rear axle. I bought a small plastic tupperware container, and drilled two holes, one in the bottom, and one in the side ( any side will do). I did this because the vent hose for the rear axle has some kind of pressure relief valve, or something on it, that I didn't want to mess with it. I stuck the stock hose/pressure relief valve thing through the hole, and then sealed the whole thing up with GE silicone stuff. Then I used the tubing I bought from Home Depot and stuck it through the other hole I had drilled in the plastic Rubbermaid container, and routed the new vent hose along the frame/chassis to the same place in the engine compartment that I routed the auto trans vent hose. I affixed the plastic container to the frame using those plastic strap things.

Front Axle/ Transfer case.

I only modified one of these because one of the stock ones was already in a great location, only about 12 inches from where I rerouted the auto trans and rear axle vents. It was located in the front of the engine compartment on the driver's side, and is affixed to the back of the fan shroud high up. The last vent hose ( can't rememeber whether it was the front axle or transfer case) is located about 5 inches to the left of the center of the firewall, just behind the trusty old 350, however it is pretty low. You have to kind of climb into the engine compartment, and rest your had on the 350, and then peer down the firewall behind the 350. It had the same "pressure relief valve" also, but there wasn't enough room to use the Rubbermaid thing, (plus it is very close to the engine and exhaust manifold, so I used a much smaller cylinder and sealed both ends with the GE silicone ( which apparently can stand up to 450 Farenheit temperatures. I routed this hose to the same location as the others using the plastic straps.

The area I routed the hoses to seems to be very well protected, by observation and by the real world testing that I did. I was thinking of putting an aluminum shield behind the headlight assembly to prevent any water from seeping through, but it seems unnecessary. I don't think I'll ever cross water that deep again. It is very scary to have your vehicle ( even a heavy truck) surrounded by water almost up to the hood. One thing that surprised me was that the truck didn't feel like it was going to float away. It was the noise of the water sloshing against the truck that was the worst. I had the window down and stuck my head out to continuosly monitor the depth, and to avoid the floating cars that were all over the place. Anyway, I never took any pictures of these modifications, but I will try to do that and e-mail them to you.

Hope this helps

Like A Rock

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 07:59 PM
Mud in my Veins

Thanks LAR. I printed it out and am going to go locate the vent tubes. I think they are in the same spots on my Blazer as they are on your pickup.

Questions for you:

-I may be just missing the obvious, but how did you connect the hose you bought to the factory hose?
-Did you use the factory vent tube top thingies on the end of your hoses?

I can picture most of what you did, but pictures of the tupperwear thingy on the rear axle line and the similar cylinder thing up front would be of help to me.

I am planning on eventually fitting a second battery to mine, so I will probably run mine up the firewall as high as possible. I remember the one that's against the fan shroud. I'm not planning on crossing water as deep as you did anyways. I have had it in water as deep as the bottom of the doors though, so I don't think it would hurt any. A body lift is a possible future modification, so I may let this project sit for a while until I decide on that. Don't want to have to reroute everything connected to the body after the body lift.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 08:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

AJM,
the body lift install has been kinda frustrateing but the end results so far ahve been worth the headace. the truck sits way taller, I have no doubts about running 315s. the only thing Im disapointed in is the lack of brackets to raise the rear bumper and the strenght of the front brackets. I think Im going to build a skid plate that ties into the front bumper anf my front resiver hitch to stregthen it some.
I have pics as soon as possible.
Evan

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode