Re: Stock \'98 K1500 crossed 39\" deep water
I went to Home Depot and bought 25 feet of 3/8 inch tubing from their plumbing department. I also bought those plastic straps that you feed through a very small slit, and you can tighten them by pulling them through the slit, but you can't un-tighten it, I don't know exactly what they are called. You have to cut the plastic strap when you want to get rid of them for any reason. Anyway.
For the automatic transmission (4L60E)
This is the critical one. First because the trannny is so vital and so sensitive to water, and second because the vent hose is not very high, and it points down. The vent hose for my truck was a black rubber hose that you can reach from the driver's side, of the tranny. Take a flashlight, and crawl under the driver' side of the truck where the tranny is. It's about midway between the torque converter and the universal joint. Just keep looking and you'll see the stock vent hose. I also bought those screw-type clamps ( like they use for radiator hoses etc.). I decided to place the vent hose in the front of the engine compartment on the driver's side about 6 inches from the back of the headlight assembly. This area is right where the auxilliary battery would be ( my truck doesn't have one). I used the plastic ties about every 9 inches and affixed each tie to a component that didn't move. I also made sure that the wheels/tires/suspension components would not come into contact with the hose. I routed it along the frame ( there are brake lines affixed to the frame as well) then up near the power brake master cylinder, and along the driver's side fender. There are cut outs in the fender that make it possible to secure the hose to the fender with the plastic ties. Make sure that you tighten the new hose to the stock vent hose tightly, but not so tight that you squeeze the stock vent hose shut, otherwise you would have no venting. You want it to be tight enough so that fast moving water, or general debris won't pull it off either.
The stock rear axle vent hose runs from the axle to the driver's side rear wheel area right to the top of the INNER side of the frame/chassis.
I did a strange thing with the rear axle. I bought a small plastic tupperware container, and drilled two holes, one in the bottom, and one in the side ( any side will do). I did this because the vent hose for the rear axle has some kind of pressure relief valve, or something on it, that I didn't want to mess with it. I stuck the stock hose/pressure relief valve thing through the hole, and then sealed the whole thing up with GE silicone stuff. Then I used the tubing I bought from Home Depot and stuck it through the other hole I had drilled in the plastic Rubbermaid container, and routed the new vent hose along the frame/chassis to the same place in the engine compartment that I routed the auto trans vent hose. I affixed the plastic container to the frame using those plastic strap things.
Front Axle/ Transfer case.
I only modified one of these because one of the stock ones was already in a great location, only about 12 inches from where I rerouted the auto trans and rear axle vents. It was located in the front of the engine compartment on the driver's side, and is affixed to the back of the fan shroud high up. The last vent hose ( can't rememeber whether it was the front axle or transfer case) is located about 5 inches to the left of the center of the firewall, just behind the trusty old 350, however it is pretty low. You have to kind of climb into the engine compartment, and rest your had on the 350, and then peer down the firewall behind the 350. It had the same "pressure relief valve" also, but there wasn't enough room to use the Rubbermaid thing, (plus it is very close to the engine and exhaust manifold, so I used a much smaller cylinder and sealed both ends with the GE silicone ( which apparently can stand up to 450 Farenheit temperatures. I routed this hose to the same location as the others using the plastic straps.
The area I routed the hoses to seems to be very well protected, by observation and by the real world testing that I did. I was thinking of putting an aluminum shield behind the headlight assembly to prevent any water from seeping through, but it seems unnecessary. I don't think I'll ever cross water that deep again. It is very scary to have your vehicle ( even a heavy truck) surrounded by water almost up to the hood. One thing that surprised me was that the truck didn't feel like it was going to float away. It was the noise of the water sloshing against the truck that was the worst. I had the window down and stuck my head out to continuosly monitor the depth, and to avoid the floating cars that were all over the place. Anyway, I never took any pictures of these modifications, but I will try to do that and e-mail them to you.
Hope this helps
Like A Rock