Question About Punctured Tire - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Question About Punctured Tire

The other day I drove home from work, went in the house for about 20 minutes and when I walked back outside I noticed that my rear passenger side tire was seriously low on air. Upon closer inspection I noticed that I had run over a titanium drill bit[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] with my brand new BFG MTs. I had just enough air to drive across town to a tire shop. These guys deal mostly with 18 wheelers. I'm assuming that a tire plug job on an 18 wheeler is going to be alot more durable than one for a passenger car. Whatta you guys/gals think: Am I going to be OK or should I just use this as a spare and buy a new tire? I'm concerned about when it's time to rotate this sucker up to the front.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:04 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: Question About Punctured Tire

I dunno. I'm concerned about the 36 TSL that <font color=green>Shawn</font color=green> chopped up before he sold it to me. If it ever blows I'll need to but another 240 dollar tire! Ouch! I doubt if I'd use it as a spare. I once used a chopped tire for a spare, I blew the original, put on the spare, blew the spare, and then was screwed. Hmmmmmm. I say get a new one. Or gradually assimalate swapmers in their place.

That may not be much help eh?

Actually, when I blow enough of those, I'm gonna just get 38" SX's. Like Shawn. All follow Shawn. Long live Shawn. Shawn looks like Garth Brooks, really, I've met him in person. ^_^

1978 K20, 355, TH 400, NP 205, D44, 14FF, 7" Lift, 36" TSL Radials
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:25 PM

My buggy has 31" yokohamas on it... I've had it for about 8 years now and one of the tires has had a plug in it ever since I got it. Never had a problem ... I flat tow it about 600+ miles a year. Probably not a fair comparison, but that's my experience. I think it depends on who's doin the pluggin'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheryle

I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's good to hear sheweeler. And that's what I thought, you know, "who's doin' the pluggin" cause these guys usually plug tires on big rigs. I'm thinkin' it should hold up on my 1/2 ton.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This happened to me, and the plug has worked perfectly ever since. It's been a while. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Like A Rock

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

I worked at sears auto center for a while and pluged a lot of tires. there should be nothing to worry about with the plug.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jim - have confidence in the plug, they are no problem. i worked at a tire shop in high school and plugged tons of tires and never had one come back. we have several plugs in the tires on our 5 vehicles in the household and havent had any problems (we plug them ourselves - kit is $5 at discount auto and comes with 6 plugs i think)

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't like tire plugs myself, so i bought insurance for my tires when i bought them new. If i ever have a flat thats unrepairable, i just pay $20 for a new tire. I wouldnt trust the plug just because the people who do it work on 18 wheelers, my dad has his own truck (18wheeler) and he's never run a tire with a plug in it. Its just not worth it and theres too much to risk if that plug happens to blow on a tire loaded at 80K pounds. If I were you I'd just buy a new tire, and use the old one as a spare, but of course thats just my opinion. Good Luck!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 01:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the wal-mart plug kit and used it twice now. No problems with about 20k on it. If you are that worried go to a regular tire shop and ask for a patch. Most shops here in wont even use plugs anymore just patches. The catch is they cost $20 because the tire is dismounted then the hole is ground from the inside about 5" diameter then a vulcanising<sp> glue is put on then the patch and remounted. A plug is $5 and just shot in.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 06:20 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If I were you, I'd go with a combination of a plug *and* a patch on the inside. That way if the plug ever works out of there (if you air it down to go 'wheelin' it might since the tire will flex a lot more than on the highway), you don't lose your air, since the patch from inside still holds it... Just my opinion... I just sort of like to over do things sometimes just to play it safe...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode