I need a new motor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I need a new motor

I think its getting close to time to retire my old 350, with one horse in our trailer I cant go over 60 unless im going down hill.
So I think a big blocks needed, I think Ill be able to find a complete 454 out of a 93 -94 truck thats been wrecked for around 1000-1500. that way I can get all the brackets and maybe acessories on the motor to make the install simple. I think it would be a good idea to throw a fresh clutch on it cause mines slipped a few times when I was in 4 low in some ruts, though its only got a few thousand miles on it.
I think all id ahve to do is get the computer reprogramed and drop the BB in probably take me a day to do.
Im posting cause Im bored but curious to see what everyones thoughts are on it.
thankx
Evan

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 08:32 AM
Veteran

Re: I need a new motor

Just bear in mind a BB will have its way on your drivetrain (i.e axles, not just the tranny). The front will probably sag a little due to increased weight. You want a BB radiator too, which may be smashed in the wrecked donor vehicle[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Andreas

<font color=blue>Member of the secret sbc400 club</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:13 AM

that's true...though i think evan's truck is a 2500LD, so it should fair pretty well.....i think [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Andreas
I was just wondering where youve been. I think my drive train can hanlde it the front might sag just a tad but I think a few cranks on the torsion bars shold fix that, the 14 bolt semi floating rear should be fine? my trucks also had the rad swapped out before by the prefius owner and it seems alot bigger than ones if seen on half tons, could be my eyes though. the heavy dut 4 speed shold be fine to I think.
Evan

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:23 AM

you just did some work on tranny recently, haven't you?

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

just replaced the clutch is all, I doubts its got 4000 on it

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 02:49 PM
Veteran

14b SF should be cool. I think thatīs what 454SS pick-ups have, and those rock![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. Canīt remember what exhaust you have, I know you replaced some bits & pieces a couple of months ago. It might be too small? Another thing, the fuelpump! I dunno if BB and SB pumps are different? Oh well...Itīll probably work out okay, just take your time.

Andreas

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 03:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

Grab the torsion bars from the 3/4 or 1 ton truck. They will solve any problems you have with the front end sagging. You might also want to just grab the whole computer out of the other truck. I'm told the 350-454 TBI swap isn't to hard, if you grab as much of the powertrain and computer stuff as possible.

Hmmmmm.......454 TBI with SM465......hello 8mpg! Might want to try and find a 3/4 or 1 ton with the 454 AND a 5 speed stick, that'd be a NV4500 if I'm not mistaken. All the beef of your SM465, but an extra OD gear to actually get you some gas mileage.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Andreas,
Ive finally redone the entire exhaust from the manifold crossover back, I now have a high flow cat with a cherry bomb muffler wich I dont like, and the entire system constists of 3" mandrel bent pipe, exiting at a 45 behind the right rear tire. Should be fine with a big block I hope.

AJM,
With the 350 Ive got as high as 18mpg cruiesing down the interstate, I think Id have a problem with not haveing the over drive if it werent for my tires. Im sure if I had stock 225s shesd definatly be belowing down the road,

I priced a complet motor yesterday and the wanted 1800, and didnt realy say what they meant by complete motor, maybe ounce you buy the thing the rest is pretty much yours, so hopefulley the wouldnt put up to much of a fight letting the computer go.
I better go finish my body lift, talk to everyone later
Evan

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 06:00 PM
Veteran

I guess a 3" pipe will be fine as long as you stay with a stock 454. BUT, consider building a TBi 383 or a 406 before you start buying things. Iīll help you to the best of my knowledge. A TBi 383 with some decent parts will outperform a stock 454. Just for the fun of it I built a TBi 383 in Desktop Dyno. A mild rollercam (Xtreme 4x4 258 Hydraulic Roller), 9.1 compression, some porting, good headers and a 500 cfm carb should give you upwards 450 ft.lbs (flywheel) from idle to 4500rpm. Thatīll break some u-joints [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] A 406 with the same parts and a bigger carb (650 cfm, i.e BB TBi throttlebody) will push out 490 ft.lbs. Problem is a lot of work and waiting for parts. You got a kichentable ??[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

On the other hand, a 454 with some decent parts will kill everything[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Andreas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode