K5 v. Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

K5 v. Bronco

Sorry to post this, I know everyone on this forum will say K5's own brocs, but it is a real issue for me, I am about to buy a new 4x4, should I get a Bronco or a K5? K5's are hard to come by, but I am going to go look at one tommorow(87' w/ fuel injection), but there are tons of Broncos for sale here in Houston.

thanks for the help on my first car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 12:35 AM

Re: K5 v. Bronco

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

K5's are hard to come by.....
but there are tons of Broncos for sale here in Houston.

<hr></blockquote>

........that's cause everyone wants a K5 blazer [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 04:00 AM
Mud in my Veins

If any of the Bronco's are 78-79's, then I would consider them. The rest of them I wouldn't for these reasons:

-I don't like small 4x4's that much, so that cuts out all of the pre-78 ones. Little bigger than a Jeep. To small for me.
-The TTB (Twin Traction Beam) front axle on 80-96 Broncos are a nightmare. It can be made to work, but the solid front axle on a stock K5 is much simpler and works from the start. TTB is notorious for eating tires alive, a pain to lift properly (yet not as much as the Chevy IFS[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]), and just being rather "loose" overall.
-Ford's fuel injection sucks. Overly complicated, a mass of wires, not all that waterproof, etc. Their carbs are okay.
-Their engines are a nightmare. Cleveland, Windsor, Modified, ummmm......there's another one, all of it different and nothing is interchangeable between them. They don't swap parts like GM's do, transmissions don't interchange between small blocks and big blocks, etc. GM stuff is very, very interchangeable.

There's more, but I think you get the point. My uncle is retired from Ford, I do like several Ford products (not many since 1979 though), and I've seen some very capable and well modified Ford vehicles. However, for cheapness, reliability, ease of maintenance/modification, and strength, you can't beat a GM truck.

<font color=red>GET A K5!</font color=red>

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 10:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One big reason that I like the K-5 better is that it's easier and cheaper generally to get parts for the K-5, no matter what you drive it will break from time to time so I feel that this is important.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 03:00 PM

If your not lifting it, either one is fine, just see what you can get a good deal on. If your lifting it, go K5.

90K5

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 07:06 PM

Ive had a bronco(86) and a K5 (78), And I found that the bronco frame was to thin. and if your in the rust belt like me, they will rust out, rear X-member, spring hangers and body mounts are the worst parts. My K5 needed rockers but its also 8 years older and was used to plow snow. The ford fuel injection was a bugger to fix, and even though my k5 was carbed, If chev injection screws up bad get an intake and carb kit from summit for a few hundred and your injection troubles are gone. as is the computer. Chev smallblocks are a dime a dozen so parts are easy to come by and dirt cheap. I'd buy a K5 anyday before a bronco.

Soon to be 1976 chev K-30, 427,t400,203,D60F,14Br,4.56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode