Tranny Leaks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tranny Leaks

Ok guys- this one is a mystery to me. I'm driving home from work, doing about 70, when smoke starts pouring from my truck. I pullover, and tranny fluid leaked all over everything, but it's coming from the flywheel cover. I have yet to pull the cover, and I have a feeling I am in for a front tranny seal, after I spill about 3 quarts of tranny fluid on me from the converter. Anybody else had this problem? It's weird, happened straight out of the blue. lemme know your thoughts. PS, it's a 4L sh**ty E (4l60e)

Rhino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tranny Leaks

Check to make sure the Dip stick tube didn't pull out of tranny housing happend to my Th-350, runs down around that same spot.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought a 90 blazer three weeks ago payed the guy on Friday and the Trans. did the same thing as yours on Sat. I was so P*ssed. Took it down to the shop they dropped the trans and the pump spun, ate up the shaft, and blew the front seal. 1,000 dollars later I got my truck back! Hope your luck isn't as bad as mine!

Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 11:30 PM
Veteran

I had the same thing happen to me last week with my 4L60E only I was towing the boat down the highway going 70Mph. All of a sudden I could smell smoke and it started pouring into the inside of the truck and I looked in the mirror and there was a huge cloud behind the truck. I pulled over right away and there was fluid EVERYWHERE!!! most of it looked like it was comming out of the seal between the Trany and the T-case so I thought I was F^&&*@#$!!!!! Anyway, we checked the TranFluid and there wasn't much out so we drove down the highway 5 miles to the next rest stop. When we got there I looked underneath wanting to see exactly where it was comming from. Looked around for a few minutes and noticed that the leak had stopped when the truck was still running. So I started to look a little close and I finally found out where it was comming from. Here it was comming out of the Trany Vent Tube!!! Luckly the tube was right over top of the exaust so I saw the smoke right away rather than it just falling right to the road and I wouldn't have seen it.

Hopefully this is what happend to yours. (the tube can be anywhere ontop of the trany so it could be over the belhousing.

Good luck....Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ryan-

I have looked under mine as well, I washed it all off on Friday when I got it back home. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. The truck was under load, going uphill @ 70mph. It looks on mine like it's coming from the front seal, but I have yet to pull the cover. But, I will check out the vent tube. Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping it's not the front seal, I just had it rebuilt in december. I am hoping it is something small like a dipstick, etc.

Rhino

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ryan-

After thinking about tour situation and mine, I see alot in common. Both trucks were under load, at rev, and probably in heat. I don't understand why the tranny would pour out fluid though? To cool off? I can understand a theory of fluid expands under heat, but to pour out the vent tube? I need to talk to a guy I know that has been around for longer than I've been alive. He seems to know.

Rhino

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 11:11 PM
Veteran

Rhino- Yeah I couldn't figure out why it would do it either but my uncle who is a mechanic was there and he said it is normal and he said having it there is more a safty thing than anything so you know when its getting hot.

Tell me what you find out though...Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 11:34 PM

I don't mean to sound like an @ss but fluids can't be compressed. The reason there is a vent tube on things is so that the expanding air in the tranny/diff won't build pressure and blow out seals. The only reasons a vent tube should vent liquid is if the object is over full, it has a malfunction inside that is splashing fluid at the vent tube outlet, or if the fluid has become foamy (various reasons why it will do that). I know this is a little OT but I just wanted to let you know that fluids don't expand/contract until they change state (boil into steam). there is an exception to this, it is fluids that have been designed to expand and build pressure (like the 4wd actuator), however oils water and brake fluid all don't expand.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 05:32 AM
RolngThun

Oils do expand with heat. This is why there are hot and cold marks on the dipstick, or has to be checked hot when there is no cold marks.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 02:01 PM
Veteran

Yeah thats right. That is also why there is no cold temp mark on the dipstick for my trany....only a hot mark and it has to be in D when you look at it. My T-fluid was a little high and thats why it came out the vent tube. Now I havn't touched the level since and its right where it should be when its hot and in drive.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode