Rim offset - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 07:27 AM
ratlover

Rim offset

Ok guys, here is the skinny. 83 1/2 ton with a d44 and ff14bolt and 6" suspention lift. Want to put 38'sx15(maybe 12.5 but I want a wider tire) on it with a 15"x10" rim. Planning on getting eaton cuz I want a steel rim. What offset do I need to run and a 15x10 is what I should get right? Any problems you guys see? Any one make a rim off the shelf that would work and not be close to 100$? Thanks again

83 1/2ton 350 700r4 soon to be bigger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rim offset

I take it you have transplated the 14ff in the 1/2 ton truck?

What wheels are you running now? To the best of my knowledge the 15" wheels might have some problems clearing the massive drums on the rear. Or have you converted to disk? I think you may also have to shave to front brakes if they are heavy duty. Anyone? Bueller?

I run 16" wheels on my 14FF and to the best of my knowledge that is all they came with.

Good luck
Shane Bevel

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 10:55 AM
ratlover

yup, in the process of swaping. So havent gotten them yet.

I heard that you might run into clearance problems in the front on the calipers, but you can do a little grinding and be all good. Correct? If I had to run a 16" I would but I like the variety for tires of the 15", but I guess with the newer trucks having 16" maybe that will become more popular. The rim size(except I dont want a 16.5) is totaly in the air now. I just want a steel wheel. The cheaper the better but if I got to spend the bucks the I got to I guess. Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is what most of the people I know are running.
15x10" wheels with a 4.125" offset.
The wheel will fit over the 14B drum with no grinding.
If you are going to upgrade the front to 3/4 or 1 ton then you will have to grind the calipers and backing plates to fit the 15" wheel.
As soon as I find a 4:10 10 bolt or D44 8 lug front axle I am going to be doing this.
The last time I priced 8 lug 15x10 steel wheels they were about $65 a pop.
Hopefuly I can get a deal on the front like I got for the 14B FF, I snagged that for $50.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:38 AM
Veteran

There are also 2 sizes of rear drums for the 14bolts. There are the large ones that came on some of the 3/4tons and all of the 1 tons and then there are the small ones that came on all the 2wd 3/4tons and some of the 4x4 3/4tons....if that makes any sense at all!!! As for grinding.....even with a D60 or a 8lug D44 you won't have to grind all that much off to make them fit. I know guys running 15x12" eatons on D60's and they just had to touch the grinder on some parts.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 12:18 PM
ratlover

Do you know if a 15" rim will fit on the larger 14B FF drum? It is coming outa a 3/4 ton (I am pretty shure it isnt a 1 ton) 4x4. Thanks again guys

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AFAIK no one has had any problems mounting a 15" wheel over the 14B drum

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 02:09 PM
ratlover

kewl, No one has any idea about backspacing do ya? Probably getting too paranoid, what ever comes standard is probably fine. Any way I can measure(beings I dont have a lift) or should I just get as little as posible(I cant remeber the larger number moves it closer to the frame right?) What do you need to be concerned about it rubbing? Fenders dont bother me cuz I can trim them...probably thinking too much into this....

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 02:51 PM

????
I'm still laughing from the "Anyone? Bueller?" comment [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] (A true classic!)

SAVE FERRIS

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.125" - 4.250 should be good to go.
I will be going with 15x10 with 4.125" of offset.
As a side note I won't be going any wider than 13" tires either.
I am running 33x12.5's on 15x8 rallies that have 4" of offset. So the new rim & tires will be in about the same place as the stock ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode