Quadrajet , No vaccuum!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 03:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quadrajet , No vaccuum!!

timing is perfect, new plugs/cap/rotor, intake manifold gasket just replaced, pretty sure it is sealed good. There is no vaccuum from that little tube out of the carb that goes into the distributor. Would that make the engine not start? How can I fix it? Any way to tell if it is from the manifold? I've heard of putting saran wrap over the manifold inlet and cranking it and if it sucks down its not the manifold, is this correct? H E L P ! ! !

1977 fullsize pickup,350ci. edelbrock carb, headers, oversize radiator, 4sp SM465/NP-205, 12bolt, 6" lift, 35" tires, cd deck, 2 amps, Bazzookas, 2 gas tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Quadrajet , No vaccuum!!

I dont think you are going to have vac until the engine is running. That line is for the advance and will not affect it starting. Are you sure the TDC was on the compression stroke not the exhaust stroke? One port on my edelbrock was not sucking and I didn't realize it until the motor started pinging up hill, I swapped ports and now the distributor advance works fine. So I know it will start and run without that vac. Take motor to TDC through the plug hole it should blow your thumb or rag off the hole when it is right. Use a reed or something to feel when the cylinder is up all the way, and bump the starter around. If you are fireing the motor on the exhaust stroke it wont even think of starting.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cool thats great, I didn't even want to deal with vaccuum problems. I didn't find the TDC by feeling air blow out, I found it by turning the motor till that TDC notch was at the zero mark, shouldn't that work the same?

1977 fullsize pickup,350ci. edelbrock carb, headers, oversize radiator, 4sp SM465/NP-205, 12bolt, 6" lift, 35" tires, cd deck, 2 amps, Bazzookas, 2 gas tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I still think it is possible that the mark lines up but it is on exhaust stroke

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you get it going ??

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

one complete firing cycle requires two full crankshaft revolutions, the timing mark will line up once for cyl. no 1 and again for cylinder no 6 and then it starts over. if you installed your distributor at no 1 position when it was in position for no 6 it will not start. pull the spark plug from no 1 cylinder(front plug on drivers side) put your finger over the plug hole in the head, have someone bar the engine over in the correct direction, as it approaches no 1 cylinder compression you will feel pressure from the cylinder, line up the timing mark and install the distributor for no 1 position (rotor lined up with no 1 plug wire in cap), you may have to twist the distributor one direction or the other while cranking to get it to start but it should be close. after you get it running set your timing

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll try that out tonight. As soon as I fix the new problem, its not sparking anymore.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

when I pulled the distributor I forgot to disconnect the wires so when the side touched the manifold it grounded out and sparked big which most likely fried the control module. I have a new one and i'm putting it on tonight.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 08:33 PM
Kendog454

If this was the context of your question, my Vacuum advance is not hooked up either, but my engine runs like a charm.....both at 700 rpm and 4700 rpm.

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode