OT - Military Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT - Military Question

I know some of you are currently enlisted in some form of military service. I'm thinking about joining the Army National Guard and just wanted your opinions on this move. My buddy just got back from basic and he loved it... all the hype and the hard work and shooting and serving your country etc. etc. etc... I think this is something I want to do but they only part I can see as being a big bummer would be leaving my girlfriend for 5 months while I'm at basic. Are any of you in the National Gaurd? I don't really have any big reason for wanting to join... I am done with college and have a good job and I have money and what not. I think I'm just looking for a little adventure and the oppurtunity to meet all kinds of new people and shoot some crazy guns and stuff like that. I think it would be a great experience but I just keep thinking about having to leave the girlfriend for so long. I'm just looking for any kind of opinions ya'll might have... good or bad I will take all into consideration. Sorry for the long OT post.

This mud is for you!
'88 Suburban, 350 TBI, 700R4, 3/4 ton, 9" Lift, 38" TSL's etc. etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT - Military Question

It is an exciting time to be in military. With the planned mock alien attack on the US to drum up support for space weapons and the grey mother ship reveling itself from behind the moon and all. Maybe you will get to pilot one of the skunk works anti-gravity triangle shapped vehicles. With the nuclear sensors in space detecting radioactive uranium movement through out the world I feel realitively safe. Of course the entire planet is going to flip pole over pole from the melting of the ice caps and tidal bulge at the equator but until then we should enjoy a good few years before our destruction. It should be exciting when the national geographic society reveals the ancient city in 2000 ft of water off the coast of cuba. Drawing a straight line across the atlantic it lines up with another city under water that was discoverd. Likely atlantis. This would explain the bermuda triangle in which a missing plane was discoverd by apollo 11 in orbit around the earth. Yes join the military.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 04:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'd say weigh the options and do it if you can't find any reason not to. I'm about to get out of the Marines and move back to Michigan, but the Airport about 4 miles from where I will probably end up living has an Air National Guard A-10 Warthog squadron there. Thinking about seeing how things are going in few months, and if I want to, I'll join. The extra cash for little work would be fine, but there are a few considerations. This unit usually deploys to some far off place once every other year or so to releive an Active Duty Air Force squadron so their personnel can spend Christmas and New Years at home. They've gone to Italy to support the Yugoslavia stuff a few times. Do I want to do that? It depends, one of those things you have to really think about.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It might be a good idea to have a recruiter put you in touch with people that are in the local Reserve or Guard units and then go out to the unit and talk to them and maybe see some of the things they do first hand. I did that at the Reserve unit that I enlisted for 2 weeks before I went in. There are alot of jobs you can do in the Gaurd but it could be helpful if you selected something that is either completely opposite of what you do now. It gives you a real break on the drill weekend. On the other hand some guys get better treatment at current jobs if they do the same thing in the reserves. I enlisted in the reserves first then I went active in a completely different job for over 7 years. Another thing is the Military Service Obligation. Once you enlist, you will owe the government 8 years, no matter if it is active, or active reserves, national guard. 3 years is the minimum enlistement period I believe......you might be able to get a 2 year term but I haven't kept up with things.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello
I was in the Air Force Active Duty (full time). I got out three years ago and went into the Reserve. I actually like being part time better than full time. It's cool having the best of both worlds. I think it's better going Active Duty first. What ever your decision Both choices have good benefits. This is a good time to enlist also. In the AF anyway some career fields are paying bonuses like mine. By the way I am an Ammo troop in the Air Force. I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S. If you have any specific questions ask and I'll try and answer them.

Lazydog

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast

Post deleted by Shootist

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 07:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I want to thank you all very much for your input. You have brought up some good points that I have not taken a look at. I think I will be talking with the recruiter next week. I talked to my ma about it and she thinks I am crazy and so does the girlfriend. I have a lot of thinking to do I guess. I just have to hope I can get through the physical... I blew my knee out twice during wrestling in high school and had surgery on it both times. I also have asthma. I kinda thought about it last night and if I did past the physical and if I were to get shipped off some where the guys I am with are depending on me as I would on them and I don't think they want someone who has a 90% chance of blowing his knee out. I just don't know what to do, I think I am going to just sit down tonight and really think this thing through.

Thanks All

This mud is for you!
'88 Suburban, 350 TBI, 700R4, 3/4 ton, 9" Lift, 38" TSL's etc. etc. etc.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 09:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've been in the Air National Guard. The Air National Guard has a mission to defend the air space over the United States. So when "ET" shows up flying less than Mach 4, "ET" will first be greeted by a member of the Air National Guard flying a fighter aircraft with a full weapons load. Most people think the Air Force has the job to defend the air space over the United States, wrong. The Air National Guard has several fighter aircraft ready to "Sortie" in less than 5 minutes everyday in several places across the United States.
I will say there is a difference between the Guard and Reserves. First off, the Air/Army National Guard is a "State Militia" which can be activated by the "State Governor" for state emergencies. For example my unit was once "activated" to assist a flooded township and could shoot looters. As for a "reservist" an individual member can be "activated". So let's say your a reservist RADAR technician, and your skill is needed to work on equipment in Saudi. As a reservist, you can be "activated" and sent to active duty to maintain RADAR equipment in Saudi. The entire Guard unit needs to be "activated" to be sent to active duty, not just one individual. It makes a difference.
dave

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 09:59 AM

If you have/had asthma since you were 12 years old they won't let you in... if you really want to get in just neglect to mention that fact... Another thing to think about is a lot of Reserve units are considered "National Assets" because of the job they do, they might be one of the few around. The reserve unit that I'm attached to as an Active Duty counterpart is one of the few C-130 Squadrons in the entire Marine Corps so we get tasked with a lot of missions to augment the regular forces. Just another thing to look at...

'78 Chevy Blazer w/300hp Goodwrench 350, SM465, NP205 T-case.
'61 Willys Utility Wagon w/Chevy 350, TH350 ,NP203 T-case, and a broken Ford 9" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 02:59 PM
Drew K1500

If you have finished college then try to go in as an Officer. I love the military. The one thing that i would suggest would be to find out exactly what the career field you are going into is. My recruiter fed me full of BS about my career field and I really dont like it. He just had a quota to fill and the AFRES squadron needed people in that field. Have him take you around and show you the jobs not just give you a outline of them. The Reserve is honestly the best thing i have done since leaving active duty.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
Fly Your Flag, Support our Veterans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode