Exhaust Upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust Upgrade

Kind of late on the post but I hope I can get some quick feedback. I am replacing the muffler on my '99 Z71 today with either a Flowmaster or Magnaflow. My question is wether or not there is any advantage to having single-in/dual out over just single-in/single-out? Any response would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Exhaust Upgrade

IMHO, I can't see where there would really be much advantage (mostly just something they can advertise to sell the product). I would look more at the specs for both and see witch one has the flow characteristics you want...=0)

'83 Blue 'Burban K10, 4" with 35's, 6.5l oilburner, 700R4/208
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 10:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do yourself a favor, if you aren't going to true duals stick to a single exhaust line. Its a simplicity issue. Fewer parts and fewer things to break. If you really offroad hard exhaust pipes just get in the way, two exhaust pipes, two things to get in the way! Chances are on that truck you won't see a difference in performance unless you go true duals (IE two cats two mufflers two tail pipes)

If your goal is noise and not performance, then go wih the dual out, stick some giant echo tips on there and go run around with the rest of the hillbillies and kids with Hondas.

Later,
Shane

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had flowmaster on and switched to magnaflow. Flowmaster was louder. I went with the 3" in and out. no noticeable difference in performance between the two

DJ(dude)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 01:39 PM

a 3" single in/out will work better. you actually lose a tad going to duals, even if you keep them at 2.25". if you want the look of duals, then go ahead and get them. its just a matter of what you want to do with your truck.

uhm, forgot the muffler. my suggestion is that you find a couple trucks, one with each muffler, and listen to how they sound. then choose which ever one you like best. magna flow is a free flow straight through, and flowmaster is baffled. you'll have different sound, but i have no idea how their performance is in relation to each other.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

First off, thanks to everyone that posted a reply. I was able to listen to both the Flowmaster(stage 2) and the Magnaflow on my truck and I went with the Flowmaster single-in/single-out. It cost me $121.00 for the muffler and installation and I am very happy with it initially. Next upgrade is K&N FIPK or Air Raid cold air intake. Once again thanks to everyone who took the time to help out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode