How do I get my BBC running? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How do I get my BBC running?

Just wondering how I can get my 366 BBC running if its on the engine stand? actually right now its bolt to the trany but there isn't a clutch in between. Just wondering what all I will have to hook up electrical and distributer wise. I remember back on high school we had a 350 on a stand that we could start with just a battery but that was a few years ago now. And also they do this on dyno's all the time too.

Can anyone help?

thanks...Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How do I get my BBC running?

give it fuel and ignition voltage and it should run, plug the oil pressure port or hook up a mechanical gauge, hook-up a water flow to cool it if you want to run it very long. I have always heard you should have a flywheel on it as the engine needs the spinning weight to aid in the balancing of the engine. I think the engine will run smoothly in the stand but be careful when shutting it off as the compression may make it kick back as it shuts down.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:14 PM

I was thinking of doing this as well with my 454 for the Willys. I planned on getting some 1.5" square tubing and building a stand to build it with a radiator on it with electric fan. Then a little battery on the side and a small fuel tank from a junked car. Prob. build a little control panel with temp, oil press., tach, and maybe some other stuff. You would at least need a radiator, if you plan on running it for more than a few minutes, a fuel tank, and a battery. Hey, ever hear anything on that clutch you were showing me? I know we both emailed the company but I never got a reply.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

No Jason I never heard a reply on the clutch[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] but I actually found out another manufacture of high quality clutches but I havn't had the time to look for there website. The name is Mcleod(something close to that) Clutches.

As for the engine...where will I need wires going to and from. I mean from the distributer and stuff and also wires from the starter to where??? That was probably a dumb question but after working on the truck for 8 hours today I am not thinking the best right now[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:24 PM

Umm, you will need your ignition system up and going. Power up the coil, and dist. and ground your engine so the plugs will fire. You will need some power to your starter to bump the engine over. Electric choke if you have one will need power. Electric fuel pump if needed. Umm, can't think of much else right now. Is this the engine going into the puller? I thought you said it would be over 1000hp?

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I bought the engine for a mock motor to test the susp and fit everything onto the truck as well to get the aprox weight. I am still trying to figure out which way I want to go for a motor. I am thinking of either buying a 427 Tall deck truck motor which can be bored .125 over compared to a 454 that can only go .060 over. The bore on a 454 and a 427 are the same only a 427 has a shorter stroke. Anyway, you can stroke a 427 tall deck truck engine to 4.125 or even 4.250 and it will bring up the cubes to a 496.

I was originaly wanting to go to as close to 526 as I could which is max in my class but I am thinking about the future!!! In a year(after my first season in SuperStock) I would like to move up to Modified where you can run a 640CI alky injected naturally aspirated OR a 500 or smaller thats blown and injected.

So if I were to build a 496 now it would save me $$$ in the long run and that aprox 30 CI I would lose doesn't make much of a difference really.

The 366 that I have right now is also a tall deck truck motor and is in great shape and has a newer holley 4 barrel carb on it and I got it for only $400Cdn or $250US which is about what the carb is worth!!!! what can I say, I got a deal again[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I am going to probably bore and stroke the 366 out to 414 or a 427 and use it for a back up motor.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 11:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had often thought if you were in need of a test stand for running engines, a front stub from a uni-body car would work easily, you already have motor mounts and provisions to mount the radiator and transmission, plus it's on wheels, so it could be portable.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 06:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you make an adapter to hook up a garden hose to the thermostat housing and remove the thermostat you don't need a radiator and fan. I do this with the engines my students in auto shop class build it works great. If you are going to run the engine very long hook up a temperature gauge to the engine and control engine temp. by regulating the flow of water at the faucet. We have run them for hours this way. Make sure you shut the water off before shutting the motor down though to avoid cold water shocking the motor.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ryan-

MCLeod does high quality clutches, Crower does AWESOME clutches. they have a site, www.crower.com They do everything super high quality, their stuff isn't cheap, but it is the best.

As far the the engine stand, you need a radiator, or a fan, a power supply, and to route the exhaust out. Running a motor open header will kill your lungs, not to mention your nose and eyes. (I have too much experience with this) Other than that, I had fabbed a stand from 2x2 steel, and a wood frame. I have heard of guys using old front ends, and mounting the motor straight to the old frame.

Rhino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode