Air Pump? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Air Pump?

I know I'll catch some flak for this, but I'm planning to remove my air pump in the near future. 1980 K5 with stock 350. Should I just be able to pull the pump out and get a shorter belt? Remove the diverter valve, both check valves and air lines, then plug the exhaust manifolds? Anybody know, are the holes in the manifolds regular pipe threads or tube fitting threads? Any ideas on the best way to plug these and/or hole sizes. (3/8"?)

I know this really isn't environmentally friendly, but it is legal where I live. I think I'll probably go for it, unless anyone here can convince me otherwise.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Air Pump?

There is really no performance gains from removing the air pump. So why bother, also it will result in your engine running to rich.

My truck ain't leaking oil it's marking it's territory!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is really no performance gains from removing the air pump. So why bother, also it will result in your engine running to rich.

My truck ain't leaking oil it's marking it's territory!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the fitting threads are not pipe thread, they are a tube fitting thread. I have seen regular plugs for them but are not sure what they are called.
Why does removing the air pump make your engine run rich? the air it's pumping in is added to the exhaust to help burn any unburned fuel, to help with emissions going out the tailpipe

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I assume you're talking about the smog pump, and no, it won't make your motor run rich, there's no 02 sensor to make it think so. And if your truck is burning the fuel in the exhaust manifold, then you should call someone and get a patent. All the smog/air pump does is dilute the exhaust coming out. When you get an exhaust check they measure HC's (hydrocarbons) in parts per million (PPM). It's just like adding more water to Kool-Aid. It's still Kool-Aid, its just not as strong. I say what the heck, yank it off. It's just one less thing to worry about later on. The shorter belt is probably cheaper, anyway. Just make sure that when you plug up the exhaust maifold that whatever you use to plug it isn't reaching into the manifold and obstructing the airflow.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:57 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Actually you CAN burn exhaust in the exhaust manifold... All you have to do is get the timing a little too retarded or the fuel mixture a hair too rich and you certainly can burn that in an exhaust manifold. The unburned hydrocarbons are fed into the cat which gets very hot due to the reaction (combustion) of hydrocarbons that didn't get burned earlier.

</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 04:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

there really is no reason to remove the air pump as stated by 400k5 you won't gain any performance
i recently bought a 85 with this system on it and disconncted the air pump doing some trouble shooting and there was
no noticable difference at all
plus your carburator and distributor on trucks equipped with air are specially tuned to work with the air and if i am not mistaken
are not adjustable
i could see removing it if you were doing and engine swap (this is what i plan to do but i do not have emmisions where
i live either)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode