Can't get truck started!! Distributor problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can\'t get truck started!! Distributor problem

I had to change the gasket on the intake manifold. Before I removed the distributor I kinda remembered how it went in. The thing got spun around while it was out so I took a guess and stuck it back in after re-installing everthing. Now the truck won't start at all. I have tried rotating it all over the place, tried putting the rotor on backwards and rotating the cap everywhere but still no cranking. I've already killed the battery once just trying to get it to start. I put a timing light on and can get the mark within 15 degrees of TDC but it doesn't even come close to turning over when trying to start it. As far as I know, the bowls should have fuel by now so what gives? I changed the distributor when I was putting it back toghether and had to transfer the coil so I'll pull a plug later to see if I am getting spark but is there anything else I am missing? I'd like to avoid pulling all the plugs and turning it manually to TDC if possible. Whats the correct timing for it anyway? Its a 350ci. w/quadrajet
thanks

1977 fullsize pickup,350ci. edelbrock carb, headers, oversize radiator, 4sp SM465/NP-205, 12bolt, 6" lift, 35" tires, cd deck, 2 amps, Bazzookas, 2 gas tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 04:54 PM

Re: Can\'t get truck started!! Distributor problem

I hate to hear all these bad things coming from your truck, since it's your first truck I hope it doesn't discourage you from Chevys, or trucks altogether. Just stick with it. How did your discomfort issue turn out? With the uncomfy seats and ride and the what-not.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

being a camaro freak I could never get discouraged from chevy's. It is uncomfortable as hell, but I am saving serious money so long as the drivetrain problem DOES in fact turn out to be only the shifting linkage which it sounds like it is. Despite the loss of 4wd after 10min, I had a blast 4-wheelin a couple weeks ago. I might lighten up the suspension and keep it a while or just sell it and look for a newer chevy truck, don't know yet. But it is growing on me slightly as I am getting used to it. If I could drive it a whole week without something going wrong it would be nice. I can get started on the linkage as soon as I get the friggin motor running again. hence this post.

1977 fullsize pickup,350ci. edelbrock carb, headers, oversize radiator, 4sp SM465/NP-205, 12bolt, 6" lift, 35" tires, cd deck, 2 amps, Bazzookas, 2 gas tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 05:34 PM

The easiest thing to do is turn the engine to TDC, take the dist out and rotate to #1, and then try to start it. If that doesn't work, maybe the dist is 180 deg off. also, check the spark plug wires for the correct firing order. And......make sure the little button between the coil and cap is not upside down. I did this same thing a little while ago, and later found out it wouldn't start because it was upside down. Good luck

90K5

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

youre gonna have to pull the dist. and start from scratch turn the motor to tdc then put in the distributor so the tip of the rotor points at the left rear corner bolt on you carb. install the cap so the second plug wire clockwise on the cap from the plug is pointed at the same bolt this will be cylinder 1 assuming you have the firing order right, it will either start or pop back through the carb. if it pops lift the dist up and turn the rotor 180 degree's then it will start

when in dount, let er feed
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

okay then with all the plugs pulled, will I be able to turn the motor manually? It should turn fairly easily right since I'm not fighting the compression?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a little remote stater and bumped it around until the timing mark point at the tab. That should be #1 at TDC. Then just point rotor at 1 and reinstall. Everybody has the same idea just differnt ways to do it.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was just thinking that frank, I'll try that, maybe i'll get lucky and getit on the mark or at least close to it. If I have the rotor pointing on #1, how many degrees from TDC can it be off for the engine to still be able to start?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It will crank slow or backfire if timing is off. I dont know exactly what deg.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you have about 6 to 10 degrees for it to start

when in doubt, let er feed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode