91 Blazer lift? tires? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

91 Blazer lift? tires?

I own a 91 full size, stock, 1500 blazer and i want to get it a little higher & tougher looking. It has the stock rims and I would like to put 33x12.50's's on it but 1 - i don't know if they'll bulge too much on the stock rims and 2 - if i'll need a lift to clear the tires. If so, how much will i need an what should i use? I'd like to keep the ride it has know and not make it much stiffer. I'm sure i can throw a 2-3 body lift in but to me, it's not the right way. Maybe i should go with 32x11.50's and not have to lift at all? Also, i'm not into cutting the wheel wells at all. This truck is in perfect condition and i'd like to keep her body It's mainly going to be used as a family vehicle with the option of playing in the dirt and mud every so often. Any suggestions, comments, links to sites with trucks like mine? Any help is appreciated in advance.

- Jersey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 02:07 PM

Re: 91 Blazer lift? tires?

You can put a 2"-3" suspension lift on her. That will clear 33X12.5's no problem (I have seen some K5's clear 33"s with no lift at all)
The tires will fit on your stock wheels but they will bulge, and probly wear down the middle of the tread faster, you can get some eagle 15X8 or even 15X10 alum wheels really cheap, thats what I would do... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Try "Colorado K5" for more than you will ever need to know about Blazers, but don't forget about this site either[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
http://coloradok5.com/forums/postlis...oard=blazer4x4
For wheels and tires "Discount Tire" is hard to beat, you can get better prices at the store but they do have a web site also http://tires.com

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 03:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had an 84 blazer acouple a years ago. I tried several spring combo's onit and found Skyjacker's softride 2 inch offered the best ride. Most blazers only need about an inch of lift to clear 33's(Diesels being a the ones that need more)A shackel flip kit would do this, but personally speaking I'd go for the new springs. I ran 33X12.50 BFG's on 15X8 outlaw 2's with no problems. you could also use cutout flares to gain the clearance.but it would look funny.

www.Kansasfourwheeling.8m.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 04:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just went through this about a month ago. I ended up going with a 3" body lift, 33x12.50 15's, and 15x10 Eagle 589's on my 1996 Tahoe 4dr. I also cranked the torsion bars in the front, and will eventually add add-a-leafs for the rear.

My advice: don't go with the 12.50's. Stick with a narrower tire. The reccomended rim with is there for a reason, and there isn't any way in hell I'd run 12.50's on a 7 inch rim. It will look, handle, ride and wear funny. 10.50's are the absoulte largest I'd run on a stock rim.

Also...my tires rub. At full travel (I went rockcrawling!) I took out the corner of one of my fenders, and they rub on the bumper with the tires at full lock. If you go with a narrower tire and a stock or with similar offset rim, you won't have problems. Good luck!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i would ( and am on my 90) go with rancho 4" front springs and a shackle flip in the rear ,it wont make youre blazer too big but if you go offroad the 33's will not ever make contact with youre fender's the newer rancho spring ride very soft and the shackle flip just puts youre stock spring's lower

when in dount, let er feed
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 12:29 AM
Mud in my Veins

4" or 2-3" lift, I'd recommend you check out the stuff BDS makes. Good ride and good flex along with competitive prices. What I would do is run a BDS spring up front (2" or 4") and an Off Road Design 2.5" or 4" rear shackle flip. When I get my older Chevy pickup, I'm going to do a 4" lift like that, BDS fronts and ORD shackle flips. Nice riding springs up front and the rear still has your factory springs, so ride will be about as close to stock as you can keep it while lifting it.

As for the rims, it depends on what width they are. If they are 15x7's, then I say go for it. I've seen lots of 12.5" wide tires on 7" wide rims. Figure out where the best balance of tire wear, air pressure, and tread pattern is for your tires and truck, and you won't have a problem. If you have 15x6's I'd say no. Just to narrow for even my tastes. For aftermarket rims I would look for a 15x8 with the same backspacing as stock. Wide enough for the tire, and not going to stick out far like a 15x10 and cause rubbing on the fender/bumper.

blusmbl, a 91 Blazer is still the 73-87 solid axle style truck. IFS came over in 92 to the SUV's (god I hate that word).[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 12:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ahhh...that explains a lot! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'd still say go with a 12.50 on an 8 inch aftermarket rim.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:44 AM
72dreamer

acronym. you hate acronyms......

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for all the input. I'm not sure of the width of the stock rims but if they're 7's, i probably wont go wider than 10.50's and in turn, means i wont go bigger than 31's. Maybe 32x11.50's, but that's it. If they're 7 1/2 or 8, i'll do the 33 x 12.50's with 2-3" lift all around. I would like to at least go with the 12.50's just to fill some of those wheel wells out! Not sure which lift yet, but i'll figure it out when i get there i guess. And yes, If i was goint to go with the 3" lift, why not go with the 4" and just go 35's, right? I know it would just look better and my CJ7 7 years ago had that setup and i loved it but...times change, i now have one 2 year old and one due in 4 weeks and getting those buggers in and out of the back with the car seats and all is a royal pain in the a$$. I'll do this for now just to get rid of that "stock" look and in a few years, when they can climb thier own tiny butts in the back and strap themselves in, that's when dad gets his rig right Thanks again for all the help.

- Jersey

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 12:24 PM

31"s will look pretty small[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] get at least 32"s or you will regret it.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode