how do i tighten rockers properly? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

how do i tighten rockers properly?

i just got a 350. the rockers are just bolted on enough to keep them from falling off and getting lost. a few of them are tight and the rest arent. is there some special way that im supposed to tighten them? how far should i thighten them down?

if you cant dodge it..it must be a tranny shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 02:16 PM
ratlover

Re: how do i tighten rockers properly?

solid or hydralic cam?

83 1/2ton 350 700r4 soon to be bigger
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 04:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm assuming you are talking about a crate engine. if you get any book like a chiltons, it's in there. I know you go to TDC, then adjust from there. I usually get them close, then run it, and at idle, loosen them to clacking, then tighten until it just barely stops, then 1/2 turn past that. Seems to work fine. The other way works fine too, just more work. Dave on this board is the motor GURU, he knows just about everything or engine building, tuning, adjusting, etc.

Rhino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 11:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There are a couple ways to adjust the SBC rocker arms. I'll figure there hydraulic. The important thing to do is adjust one cylinder at a time. Make sure the cylinder being adjusted is at Top Dead Center (TDC) of the Compression Storke. When a cylinder is at TDC both the intake and exhaust valve will be closed. When a cylinder is at TDC of the compression stroke both the lifters will be down low in the lifter bores. I tighten the rocker arm nut just enough so the push rod will not move up or down. Use a very light touch to push up and down. You want the rocker arm and lifter to just kiss[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] the push rod. I then tighten the rocker arm nut 3/4 of turn more.
dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode