OT. Does anyone Fish or Hunt?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OT. Does anyone Fish or Hunt??

Just curious how many guys/gals on here hunt and fish? reason I ask is because I do both and know a few more on the board do too. Deer season is fast aproching up here in Ontario and I have yet to get the bow out and start practicing. I actually only shoot my cross-bow now because of the injury I had to my hand last fall so it doesn't take much practice to get it shooting arrows on top of arrows at 40 yards. I shoot and Excalibur Exo-Mag which is the #1 X-bow on the market and has a draw weight of 185Lbs and shoots a 22" arrow at over 330Fps. I will hopefully be taking it up north moose hunting this fall and if I don't feel like shooting the bow there is always the good old 300 Win Mag or the 375H&H Mag[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, as for fishing seeing I havn't been working at all the last 3 1/2 months I have had more time than ever to get out to the many lakes up here. Lately I have been going to Lake Ontario for Chinook and Coho Salmon and have had very good luck with big Chinook. 2 weeks ago I landed a 29Lbs and last monday I landed a 27Lbs Chinook and we have also got many others that were 15Lbs or smaller.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT. Does anyone Fish or Hunt??

I'm not your traditional hunter or fisher type like the guy who goes every year but I do like it though. Here's a pic of around a 30lb dorado I caught down in Cabo San Lucas. That was some good eatin'. Right before that I hooked a big marlin but he jumped out of the water and snapped the line. It was pretty awesome looking. About an hour before that my buddy caught around a 250lb marlin. Sucker fought him for two hours and bent the gaff when we tried to pull him in. Deep sea fishing is pretty killer especially if you don't get seasick. Both of my buddies did, hehehe[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-511709-jf5.jpg (63.0 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:17 PM
Can't Get Enough

I used to go fishing every summer when i went to my dad's, but there isn't much water here in El Paso. I would go for channel cat mostly. I spent a year on a 1 sq mile island in the pacific and did a little shore fishing there for jack and little fish like triggers and humuhumunukunukuapua'a. That is the hawaiian state fish if none of you had heard of it. Took me 2 years to figure out how to pronounce it right.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ive been hunting since I was old enough to ride a horse, I think I was 8 or 9. Me and my dad would pack in and stay 2-3 days and usually he would get something whether it was a muley or a bull elk. weve always done rifle hunts but Ive been thinking about bow hunting.
me and a buddy of minw will be packed in somwhere high in the mountains, hopefully will get some snow eraly this year. Man I cant wait.
As far as fishing goes Its kinda to tide the time till deer season, but Ive hooked and landed a few 5' sturgen(thats small) and have the itch to start doing that more, we also do some bass and trout fishing when were out on the lake. and Ill normally have a pole with me when were hunting for those high mountain lakes.
I gota get to work so Ill catch everyone later
Evan

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I should have some pics of those Salmon shortly but I fish for pretty well every fresh water species there in and have landed some nice Nothern Pike, Walleye and Small and large mouth bass. Here is a pic of the largest Large Mouth I have cought which came out of Lake Erie. It was 6Lbs which is HUGE for up here in Ontario due to the colder weather. This pic was a few years ago (3 or 4).

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-511767-Bass.JPG (88.8 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:49 PM

i live to hunt. i fish alot too. mostly flyfishing for panfish and some catfishing too. i hunt with a golden eagle bow and a browning abolt stainless stalker. id like to get a new bow but the one i have gets the job done. here in alabama (longest deer season in the us) you cant hunt with a crossbow unless your disabled.

if you cant dodge it..it must be a tranny shop
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 04:56 PM
72dreamer

i'm a fisherman now. i've been out fishing for like 7 or 8 months now. i try and go everyday and pretty much have been. the lakes only 40ft or so from my front door and it has bass, catfish, perch, huge carp, gar and coi (coy? i dunno, it's big goldfish). i measure the fish instead of weigh em (nothing to weigh em with) and my biggest was a 36" carp! caught one last wednesday and it was 24". biggest bass i measured here was 19". i didn't catch it tho. but i love it now. it sux i've been missing out on it for so long.

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Poor fella has to go fishing everyday.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I see your in Canada... I'm going to hunt "trophy" whitetail somewhere near Edmonton Nov 26th. I've hunted Colorado/New Mexico/ Utah, but they're not as cold as Canada. Won't be easy for this south Texas hunter! I hunted in Carabou in Alaska but it was in August and not that cold. What kind of weather can I expect?
Like gmcjim, I love to marlin fish near Cabo San Lucas, MX. We fish the Southwest Invitational Marlin Tourn every June.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-512053-mrlndk.jpg (72.0 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 07:07 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

It was 6Lbs which is HUGE for up here in Ontario due to the colder weather.

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=blue>ish looks pretty big to me, For only beng 6 pounds! Anyway I'll have to scan in a pic that was in the local newspaper yesterday, A guy caught a 72 pound King salmon, Up at Rivers inlet B.C. Which is the largest King salmon on the books ever caught at that area!! The fish is BIG!</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>He's not hammerd, He's "Enjoying Life" There's a big differance![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode