95 K1500 towing capacity - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

95 K1500 towing capacity

I'm looking for some opinions on the "real world" towing capacity for a 95 Z71 half ton (auto trans) with the factory towing package. I have been looking at small travel trailers and pop ups. We will be camping in the high country and I don't want to be the guy creeping along that has a line of PO'd drivers behind him going over the 12000 foot pass. The RV salesmen always feed me a line about 6000-7000 pounds being no problem. I definetly don't feel comfortable with that, and Im not interested in replacing the tranny every other year. Any experience you care to share?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 11:28 PM

Re: 95 K1500 towing capacity

<font color=blue>What gear ratio do you have? does it have the 305 or 250 engine? Depending upon your answers to those questions, You may want to stay under 4-5000 pounds. If you don't know your gear ratio look in your glovebox for the option sticker, And look for one of these codes that'll tell you what ratio you have.
GU4 - 3.08
GU5 - 3.23
GU6 - 3.42
GT4 - 3.73
GT5 - 4.10
HC4 - 4.56
G80 - Posi, limited slip rear end</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>He's not hammerd, He's "Enjoying Life" There's a big differance![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my '97 2wd 'Hoe towed 5000#s, but I've been plagued with trany probs, but I odn't think they are related. I only towed w/ her once. you should be fine if you stay bellow 5k lbs.

-Ut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. According to the sticker I have a 3.73 posi rear end. The engine is a stock 350 TBI right now. One thing that puzzles me a little is that when I bought the truck (used) I jacked up one rear wheel to see if I had posi or not and I was able to rotate the raised wheel (although there was resistance). Is there more slip than I thoght with a posi? I thought you could not rotate one wheel if the other was on the ground if it really was a posi. I have been considering some minor mods, a [email protected] electronic shift improver and a Jacobs or MSD ignition. I also had an 88 with the 350 TBI and had good luck with the air flow enhancer and injector spacers from Turbo City. I may install those along with a ram air kit on this truck. Thanks again for the info.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 11:04 PM

The gov-lock is a tricky sucker. You don't even know it is in there until you get some wheel spin (when one spins quickly and the other remains stationaty). When this happens there is a small gear connected to the left axle that is forced to spin faster than the differential (it also works for the right tire by the diff spining faster than this gear). The movement of this gear in relation to the differential spins a rod with a spring loaded weight on it (they call this the governer), when the governer spins fast enough it opens up to catch what they call an activating lever (looks like an "L"). This lever pushes some wedges down into something (forgot what it is) and that puts tension on the clutch disks in there. The clutch disks try to stop each axle from moving independantly of the carrier but there is still some slip (hence the name limited slip) Basicly I am telling you, in order to know if it is there you will need much more wheel spin than you can create by hand. There is a guy on here that can give you a web address to a better discription than this.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:12 AM

Actually, on my 98 with the gov-lok (g80)I had one wheel jacked up to check the brakes. If I spun the one wheel briskly afetr a few turns it would clunk/lock and the wheel would suddenly stop with enough resistance that I could semi-torque the lug nuts. It was not a limited slip feeling but rather a locked up all of the sudden feeling. I felt no slippage- just bam. This is why I believe that these gov-loks explode, it's not a gradual lock up but very sudden. If I backed the wheel off, the lock unlocked and it would spin freely and quietly. It would work both ways so that I could torqued the lugs on the other side too. I never went to full torque using this method and the lock never slipped. I was afraid that too much torque might break something.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also have the B&M Improver, but I have some reservations using it with the stock valve body and lcutch packs.

-Ut
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have the owner's manual (you know, that book they put in the glove box when you buy the truck?) it'll tell you how much you can "safely" tow. I have a 2wd V-6 5-speed with 3.42 gears, and The Book says I can tow 4500 pounds. I'd say you'd be able to take at least 7500-8000 pounds, easy. BTW, towing a dual-axle U-Haul trailer with 2500 pound drag car was a piece of cake. 80 mph up I-95 at 2700 rpm in 4th gear. Couldn't use 5th. Clutch kept on slipping.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:58 AM

Do you have a manual or auto. If its an auto...two words.. tranny cooler...the "factory towing package" is not enough to keep the tranny cool. I towed a 24ft Wilderness Travel Trailer (about 6400 lbs)and it pulled like a dog. I regeared to 4.10, better pulling but still a dog. The tranny gave up in AZ on a family camp. Nothing like a tranny on fire to kill a good weekend, Now, I know the burb is quite a bit heavier, but it did struggle. My experience has been that although the tow rating may be in the 7500 lb range, try not to get too close to it. Keep extra room for what youre going to pack in the trailer and the bed of the truck. Also, when youre out camping, you usually take everyone and the dog with you, so that adds extra weight in the cab.

If you get a chance, ask a friend with a travel trailer if you can pull it across the highway for a few miles. The travel trailer has interesting characteristics since it is usuall built taller and longer than the tow rig itself. Dont forget about braking (Need to stop that thing)! I'm not sure if a pop up trailer has electric brakes.

Since youre on the subject of trailers, look a full size trailers, there not much more than the pop ups.

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

To deceive an enemy, pretend you fear him.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:11 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>I've got a '90 Z71 that I use to tow my mud racer. Total trailer weight is ~5,500 lbs & I'm comfortable with that. I've also towed as much as 7,000 lbs with this truck & there is a world of difference there. Particularly with a standard receiver hitch, I wouldn't be at all comfortable towing this much on a regular basis & never at highway speeds. Maybe with a gooseneck, but definitely not as a tag-a-long. Honestly, I think if you want to tow wet weight in excess of 6k, you should consider a 3/4 ton or 1-ton.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode