Fuel Mileage for 3500 1 Ton - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Fuel Mileage for 3500 1 Ton

I just bought a 1988 3500 truck 1 ton.It has an automatic,4:10 gears and a 350 engine,4x2,50,000 miles on it.I use it to pull my rock crawler.I got 10 mpg ,so I installed a K&N filter,removed the exhaust and installed headers, flowmaster mufflers and 2 1/2 pipe out the back.I still get 10mpg.Any ideas on what else i might look at.I do not know if a chip or gear change might help.What I tow weights about 3000#.Thanks Ranger Rick[[email protected]]

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 09:43 PM

Re: Fuel Mileage for 3500 1 Ton

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Running synthetic fluids in the engine, tranny and diff should help you pick up at least one mpg... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] What RPM does the engine run at while you're at highway speed? Do you hammer the throttle away from lights, etc? What height tires do you run? That could help effect it. Is the 3000# the Zuk only or does that including whatever trailer/tow dolly setup you have also? Is it flat towed or trailered? Might look at the bearings in the trailer or dolly wheels if you have one, repack the bearings... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a few thoughts... Seems like you should be getting better than 10 mpg since you have no t-case to eat any power... Brakes dragging? </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

Don't beat yourself up to bad about gas mileage ,10 is not really that bad for that truck.That truck is heavey and has a lot of rolling resistance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 12:05 PM

Run the MAX air pressure in you tires. Probly close to 50psi

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 01:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I normally get 12-13 with mine empty, but pulling the horse trailer it drops conciderably since my foots usually barred trying to keep my speeds up for the hills, so 10 doesnt sound that bad to me. Ive never checked mine enough to know what it gets towing but Ill bet Im down to 10 or below.

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for all the help.Sandman i will get some info and post it and maybe you can shed some more light.Thanks again guys,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode