JET Trannies - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

JET Trannies

I wanted to know if anyone has any info about the JET performance tranny? I have a 97 with a 4L60E and as expected, it is going out at 55,000 miles. I was thinking of getting one of the jet performance tranies, does anyone have any history with these units? I'm leary of going with a regular rebuild on mine because I don't want to be in the same boat again in another 50,000 miles or so. If I did go with a regular rebuild, does anyone have any good tips or perfomance mods to mention that I should do? I'm looking to get it done this week since I'm on vacation. Thanks in advance to any solutions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: JET Trannies

The JET Tranny comes with the improved valve body kit. Best thing to do is talk to Paul over there 714-848-4200. He got my truck setup tight and cheaper then i was quoted elsewhere.

DJ(dude)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Well, I got a shop who knows the jet trannies and is going to build mine the same way. I had talked to Jet, but it was going to be at least 10 days before I would even get the tranny. This shop will modify the valve body and pretty much do all the same things that Jet does, but it is going to cost me much less. They are also going to put in a large aux. cooler, along with the shift kit, extra clutchs,corvette servo piston,kevlar band,stanless sprag, etc etc. And hey, they even gave me a Fire Dept. discount....lol...how could I refuse. Plus they are going to set my shift points for my 33's.....and to top it off, it will be done by thursday. It will have a 15 month or 15,000 mile warr. so I think it ought to work out good. Hopefully this will be my first and last trouble with my 4L60E.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TxFireman,

If it works out for you, post the shop on here. Might be someothers in your area looking for a good deal.

make sure they pressure test it before they put it in (run on trans dyno) lots of cheesy places don't and the waranty doesn't mean crap if you have to keep bringing it back in.

DJ(dude)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

I will post when I get the truck back and let the results be known.....yes, they are going to dyno test the unit as well, in fact, they said they would actually run all sorts of tests on the tranny through the trucks computer before they even take it out to work on it. I made sure I was going to get it done right....and grilled the guy for about an hour or so before choosing that shop.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 04:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have not already you can go look here: http://www.jetchip.com/transmissions/ I don't know if you'll fing all of the details you're looking for. Whatever you do, install a good tranny cooler. I can give you pictures and details on the installation if interested.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have had the truck back about 4 days or so now and everything seems to be great. I'm happy with the tranny work and it does shift firmer than it did stock. I'm supposed to go back in a couple of weeks for a follow up check. They are going to check for leaks and run a scan on the computer to make sure there are no problems. The name of the shop I used is High Tech Transmission, they are in San Antonio Tx, the cost for the removale, rebuild with extra heavy duty trans cooler, kevlar bands, corvette servo piston, shift kit, extra clutchs in the 3-4, valve body mods etc etc, re-install, dyno tested, shift points adjusted, 15 month/ 15,000 mile warr. is going to cost you right at 1,840 bucks. The build up took about 3 days. Hope this helps anyone who needs it in this area. RC

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

YYYYYYIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEESSSS!!!!! that is expensive for what you had done. i had the exact same stuff done plus a stronger torque converter and it was only 800 bucks. of course, i bought the parts myself and had them put them in but still that is very, very steap.

92 FullSize Blazer Sport 3" 285/75 Geolander MT x8000i Trans4mer 4.10s
65 CJ5 302 Ford 4.5" 34/9.50 TSLs Warn OD 4.27s
79 Scout 6" 33/12.50 TSLs 4.88s Welded Diffs
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I should have mentioned that mine came with an improved torque converter. Actually, I would not even beging to think of rebuilding any tranny without replacing the TC, it would just be asking for trouble in my opinion. Oh,.....and pardon me for not buying your story of paying 800 for rebuilding a 96 or newer electronically controlled 4L60E transmission with the afore mention upgrades. And if it's not that exact trans., you are not compairing apples with apples. RC

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I should have mentioned that mine came with an improved torque converter. Actually, I would not even beging to think of rebuilding any tranny without replacing the TC, it would just be asking for trouble in my opinion. Oh,.....and pardon me for not buying your story of paying 800 for rebuilding a 96 or newer electronically controlled 4L60E transmission with the afore mention upgrades. And if it's not that exact trans., you are not compairing apples with apples. RC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode