Ive lost about 30 miles to every tank. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ive lost about 30 miles to every tank.

A couple months ago I was getting right 410 miles out of my 30 gal tank, now Im only getting 380-390 max. so Ive gota do something.
yesterday I changed the oil,o2 sensor, and cap and rotor. had to order my K&N filter kit. Im thinking I might try my stock coil just to see what happens, or I might try the MSD, but havent decided yet. I think I need new plug wires again, but cant see spending 80 bucks for the MSDs, so Im thinking accels 8.8mm wires.

I could be wrong about my fuel mileage drop, after driving my truck for 30 minutes I think I can smell gear oil burning, I thought it was just leaking and blowing back on the ex but a friend of mine seems to smell it as soon as we hit the road, so I wonder if Ive got a bearing going out and its getting hot enough to ccok the oil.

I hope not the though.
Just thought Id post wahts up with my truck, and see what possibilteis I could have.

Thankx
Evan

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 01:14 PM

Re: Ive lost about 30 miles to every tank.

make sure your tire psi is up to par...sometimes that can have a big effect. how's your thermostat?

i'm not sure about the burning oil thing...but its a possibility. how's your oil pressure when the truck is under a small load?

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unless you calibrated your speed-o then it is pointless to use the odometer to guage milage after bigger tires. Use a GPS.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I was thinking it could have something to do with the tranny because, its got over 200k and I though maybe some of the bearings may be wearing out or coming apart and causeing a drag on the motor, and maybe they could be getting hot enough to burn the oil.

I know the odometers off because of the larger tires but Ive been running the same size tires for 2 years and ahve just recntly been noticing the drop. I think it reads less miles that waht Im actually driving per tank, so my milege is better than what Im coming up with, but its still been dropping.

Shorts,
Ive been kinda slacking lately when it comes to checking my tire pressure, a week ago I got a screwdriver through one of the tires(I was pissed) and Im sure the guys at the shop put 35psi in it when the fixed and Im running 27. so I got to drop it a little.

thankx for the info
Evan

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 02:10 PM
Can't Get Enough

Even if you did not recalibrate your speed-o if it drops 30 miles to a tank then something is wrong. Unless you just added bigger tires, but I am guessing that all variables stayed the same from on tank to the other. Dropping 30 miles tank is not uncommon for me. In my 99 Suburban I usually get 440 miles out of a 42 gallon tank. Tat is 90% in town driving. I get up on the highway for more and I get 500 miles out of it. Weird huh?

Laters, Ryan

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ive has the same size tires for 2 years so its not them, this didnt just happend over night, Ive been noticing less miles every time i hit the odometer but It hasnt bugged my till it droped under 400 a tank, Im thinking a tune up will hopefully fix it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode