vortec adventures... should've bought a TBI truck! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

vortec adventures... should\'ve bought a TBI truck!

Well, I'm not sure if I can get outta this one very easily. It seems that to remove the divers' side cover, you need to remove the AC compressor and bracket - that all fine and dandy; So I go to work removing FIPKit, pulling 7 electrical connections, a few hoses, & the compressor. All that uncovers one painful fact: One of the AC bracketsí mounting bolts is conveniently located behind the power steering pulley. In tying to avoid removing the bracket, I unbolted the valve cover to see if I can work it up and out - no go. Not to mention that one of the bolts I pulled from the valve cover had a couple stringy metal shavings on it. All of the bolts were all REAL dirty too (oil, residue, crud).

Soooooooo, I'm look for some help - If I manage to remove the bracket, is it safe to reinstall it with that one bolt tightened "good'n'tight", as opposed to torqued to spec? If not, should I put the valve cover back on, even though the factory gasket can't be inspected and/or re-seated on the head or in the valve cover?? Any other ideas? Is there such a thing as a door-to-door mechanic?!?

I'm glad I don't have anywhere important to be today, but that won't last to long, and I only have 4.5-5.5 more hours of light. Any help is appreciated.

-Ut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: vortec adventures... should\'ve bought a TBI truck!

you should be ok just check the bolt a few times after its together to see if it loosens up

when in dount, let er feed
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just cleaned myself up - there is no way around removing the power steering pulley. I did a few searches online and looked long and hard at the truck. There are actaully 2 bolts behind the pulley. On a good note, the gaskets are a bright orange rubber type so I think I will be OK bolting the old covers back on if needed.

I think I'm going to wrap up for tonight, and walk down to Napa and rent a power steering pulley puller i the morning. I just hope it can be used without removing the radiator.

-Ut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 01:12 AM

i have no info to back this up, but you might can just get away with removing the fan shroud and leaving the radiator in.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 01:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey shorts, thanks for the help in chat - damn dialup is acting weird. On top of the freaky keyboard - anyway, I found the pwr steering pages in the chiltons, turns out they were stuck together with some strange sticky stuff!!

I can't believe how involved such a simple thing could be. It took us 15 minutes to do both side on my buddies '76!! This has turned into a 2 day ordeal...

On the bright side, I fixed my keyboard. AGAIN. (kinda) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] thx again...

-Ut
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 01:36 PM

...you're welcome undertow [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] i hope you got everything worked out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

most times i thumb through the manual 10 times before i find the page i need [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I finally got the drivers side on. No leaks, yet. The passenger side has this funky braket that holds the coil down thats in the way of removing the pass. side cover - problem i the bolt holding it down is on the back of the block - my big-ol hands can't fit back there, so I'm calling it quits for now.

At least the drivers side looks spiffy!

-Ut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode