14-bolt FF - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

14-bolt FF

Does anyone know if any old 14-bolt FF will bolt in (no modification) into a 1/2 ton 'Burban? I've got a friend that will sell me one he's got in his back yard. I know I'll have to do driveline mods and change my front rotors if I keep the Corp. 10-bolt up front. I'm more curious about spring pads and shock mounts.

'83 Blue 'Burban K10, 4" with 35's, 6.5l oilburner, 700R4/208
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:41 PM
Blazer1970

Re: 14-bolt FF

Has to be out of a '73 - '87 3/4 ton truck. One ton axles have narrower spring pads. 3/4 tons are a lot more common, so that is likely what he has. Oh, and gear ratio has to match your front axle, of course.

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'01 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:42 PM

I may be way wrong but I think it falls right in place except for the little things (driveline, ect.) Don't let spring perches and shock mounts hold you up if there is a problem though, that's an easy fix. BULLET PROOF SPRING PERCHES

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys... It looks pretty old (like around the right dates), but I don't know what it came out of - it's been laying in the yard for quite a while (had to cut the blackberries out to get to it). I have very limited welding experience (took the wrong class - can make just about anything out of wood), but I do have a friend or two that would probably help me out if I need to relocate perches. Any idea if they came with 3.08 gears, or would I be better off upping my front axle?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 03:39 PM

Are you sure its a FF? and not a 14bolt SF.
Also it should be a 8lug and you should currently have 6 lug so that's an adjustment you will need to deal with, either running two different wheels front and rear (which means 2 spares[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]) or converting your front to a 8 lug.

The easiest rear axle upgrade you can do, would be to find a 14bolt SF out of a 88 or newer truck it is a direct bolt in, spring pads and all, all you would need is a different ujoint.
And by the way ditch the 3.08's go for at least 4.10's.
Damn dude, I am surprised you have any power with 35"s and 3.08's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] You must use LOW range a LOT !
(well with 3.08's and 35"s it would be more like a MEDIUM range [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img])

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 03:54 PM
Blazer1970

Hmmm, I thought the spring pads were a different width on '88 and up body style trucks? Or are you talking about '88 - '91 Blazer/Jimmy/Sub?

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'01 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, so far, haven't got stuck yet (still knockin' on that wood) and pulled plenty of people out of bad situations. I just don't make the mountain passes at anything over 50mph. I don't know for sure that it's FF, it might be SF. I just want to be able to leave if an axle shaft breaks on me - right now, I'd be up a creek if it broke (likely where I'll end up breaking it) hauling this heavy-a$$ 'Burban around. I'm honestly surprised I haven't broke one yet (or the housing for that matter), considering I've had it airborne...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 04:20 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If that's a 14 bolt FF and you're running 35's you might want to reconsider... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That 14 bolt FF eats lots of ground clearance. I have 35's on my 79 'burb and with a 14 bolt FF I'm wishing my tires were at least 6 or 7" higher overall to get truly good clearance under the piggy... Only stuck I've ever been in with that rig was caused by high centering the diff... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It stuck good too, a friend's newer k1500 couldn't even budge it, broke a strap and bent his front tow hooks though... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] But I digress...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Darn good point! I'll have to think a little harder on that now. Anybody had any experience with Warn's 10-bolt FF conversion? And, are there trusses for a 10-bolt that really work?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

id go for the 14 ff that 10 bolt is on borrowed time if you wheel it hard in a burban the 14 most likely has 4:10 gaers or 4:56 if its a heavy duty you can regear youre front for less than 200$ as for ground clearance shhave it you can take almost an inch off the bottom of the pumpkin and smooth it in the process then it kinda slides over stuff just .02 cents

when in dount, let er feed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode