Chevy vortec performance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 01:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chevy vortec performance

I am wondering if anyone has done anything like exhaust, air, hypertec programming and headers and such on the 5.7L Vortec 350 and what type of horsepower and torque increases they got. I am thinking of putting a K&N Gen 2 kit, Hyper programmer, Jacobs ignition, and just putting a high flow cat and Flowmaster 40 series exhaust on my 98 Gmc vortec. So if anyone knows what type of performance increase that will get me, please tell me!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 03:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Chevy vortec performance

well, I have the FIP Kit on my '97 - mpg stayed about the same, I got better response on acceleration, but I doubt it gained any real HP/torque. The rest of the truck is bone stock so I couldn't comment from real life on other gains.

But first, the factory cats flow great. Unless your approaching 100k miles, I wouldn't worry about that. Headers will do you wonders with the new muffler, especially with the FIPKit. Gains upwadrs of 30-50 HP aren't uncommon with these mods. But cats/muffler alone, even with the intake, probably won't net even half of that.

Again, I don't have personal expreince but the general consensuss is to avoid the Jacobs equipment. Look into the MSD equivalents.

As far as the programmer, you will get very mixed opinions about this. Pesonally, I would rather get a custom chip made for my specific needs. Alot of the folks at http://www.pacific-audio.com/perform...iscussion.html have some really nice votec setups if you can't find the info you need here.

-Ut
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 07:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In 1996, I baught a 1997 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton 4x4 Extended Cab Long Bed. It had an Auto with a Vortec 454. The first thing I did other than bigger tires was Exhaust. Since the truck had 2 cats, I put on Dual exhaust. Next was a Jet Power Chip. If I had to do it over again, I would have used the Hypertech power programmer. I did the usual K&N filter. It did have a noticable power increase.

The Jacobs ignition is the best out there, It is high but it is high quality.

Powerstroke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

Post deleted by Shootist

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 98 Z-71
good stuff for me = Started with Volant Intake and Magnaflow Catback exhaust, slight but noticeable increase, dual flex-a-lite electric fans very noticeable increase in mileage around town, JET module nice increase(could feel the difference, i will test on dyno before and after soon) and loved the harder shift so much i installed one of there Powershift modules.

not impressive=TB spacer from poweraid(whistle sound and no increase, made real tight fit for intake), Performance Pulleys no seat of pants increase, slight increase(temp could have been a factor) on dyno but not enough to jeopardize my charging system.

my two cents

DJ(dude)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can you give me some more info on the electric fans? Where? How much? And how they work. Are they manually controlled or temp controlled?

If it don't fit force it, and if all else fails get a bigger hammer!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

here is the script for the fans: This Flex-A-lite electric fan is designed specifically for full size Chevrolet trucks. It's rated at 5,200 cfm, and has an adjustable 180-240 degree thermostat, A/C relay, and custom mounting brackets. This fan improves HP and gas mileage and features a lightweight one piece plastic shroud and rigid brackets to ensure a strong installation. Flex-a-lite tests show an increase of 12 more HP, 16 foot pounds of torque, and two miles per gallon.

Now it came with a adjustable thermostat sensor you put in your radiator, but i just wired it up from the relay to a fan switch i put on the block to turn it on at 195 and off at 185. Also wired it up to a/c compressor so it automatically goes on when a/c is on. You could easily hook up a manual switch if needed.

here is a link to it on flex's site:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/Application Guide/fulltruck.htm

DJ(dude)

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 08:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

DJ how much did that dual setup cost? i looked at the site, it looks like a good setup.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mick,

I paid $379 through summit racing. pretty high, I justified it in my mind because summit has a 90 day money back no questions asked. If it saves me a gallon or two a week then it pays for itself in two years.

DJ(dude)

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does it? In theory it should work, but in reality do you feel/see any performance?

If it don't fit force it, and if all else fails get a bigger hammer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode