KC LIGHTS WONT WORK, HELP!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 09:59 PM
BigBlueZ71

KC LIGHTS WONT WORK, HELP!!

Ok my KC lights on my pushbar went out all of a sudden, can't pinpoint exactly when, but i know that they stopped workin after that last "mudbog" deal. Does anyone have any idea why they would stop working. The little green light inside the cab still works just fine, comes on when i flip the switch, but still the lights are dead. I checked that four prong relay box and everything is connected, i'm pretty sure the wiring is set up perfectly, I had it professionally installed. Is there a fuse in my fuse box or something? i know the kit came with a fuse of some sort, PLEASE HELP driving back to texas on saturday and will be driving at night, need the lights. thanks for all your help, i'm sure someone can help me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 10:11 PM

Re: KC LIGHTS WONT WORK, HELP!!

Get a test light/voltmeter and start looking for the open. Check for voltage at the lights themselves, then work your way back. Also, if the ground has been disrupted, that might also be a problem. I believe the KC light housing is used for a ground. Make sure you havent damaged the lights or packed a bunch of mud in between the lights and the mounting point.

It is apparent by the post that you have power to the switch. Use the volt meter to check beyond that. Check the posts on the relay and make sure there is voltage to the relay and there is power in and out on the other posts of the relay.

Clear as mud?? Good luck, if I can help oout any more, email me at [email protected]

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

To deceive an enemy, pretend you fear him.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 10:35 PM
BigBlueZ71

Hey I found the problem, a fuse was blown, next question....the fuse that blew was a 20amp fuse, all I had was a 35amp backup fuse that i use for my stereo in desperate situations....hahaha, if I replace the 20amp with a 35 amp would that be kosher? or is 35amps too much of a load. do I need to stick to a 20? or could i stay with a 35? or do I need to go buy a 25 or 30 amp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The relay is likely a 20 amp relay so I would put the 20 amp or at most 25 amp fuse in there. Did you upgrade KC light bulbs to higher wattage? if so you should slave another relay of the existing one so each light is on its own circuit pulling off the batery. Good luck.

http://www.cirent.com "Bubba Tub" 1977 K10 d60-14ff Np203,th350,350 Stock,6" lift,39.5" SS
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 11:02 PM

Stick with the 20. Upgrading to a 35 amp may cause problems with your wiring if there is a fault the fuse needs to clear. Better to blow a .05 cent fuse than burn up a 200.00 wiring harness.

Double check your wiring, and make sure no wires are frayed or broken. You may be coming into contact with metal while youre wheeling.

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 11:07 PM
BigBlueZ71

My bulbs are the 165 watt, 385,000candlewattpower lights. I just bought the kit from my bud at oreilly and had this company called TexanTruckAccessories install them, i'll just run to oreilly's here in arkansas tomorrow and get another 20amp fuse, or a 25 is someone tells me for sure that a 25 would be fine. also, all my wires are totally covered with that black bendable tubing, from the cab to the lights, TOTALLY covered. so i dont think they're hitting any metal. anyway, thanks a bunch guys, yall rock.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 11:20 PM

Just glad you can see on the long dusty highway in the great state of Texas......

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 12:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A 25 amp fuse will be alright, but no more. If that fuse blows, you have a problem somewhere in the wiring that you need to track down.

Just because the lights were installed "professionally" doesn't mean the job was done any better than the kid next door could have done for a six pack and a pack of smokes. I had an aftermarket alarm "professionally" installed in my `96 when it was new. When something eventually shorted out / came loose and the truck wouldn't even crank over, the last thing on my mind was the possibility of the alarm. I had to pay the dealer about $200 just to tell me that the alarm was wired with bubble gum and Scotch tape... a "professionally installed" paper clip was used to jump power to an alarm circuit when it came loose, it disabled the part of the alarm that allows the truck to start.

If shortcuts were easy, they would just be The Way[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

At 165 watts you are pulling 24.5 amps at 13.7 volts across the relay contacts. Make sure the relay is rated higher than 20 amps, 30 or 40 amps should be good. The fuse likely goes to close relay contacts?? that should never go over 2 amps max I would think. If the fuse is in line with the lights then yes it will blow a 20 amp fuse after a while. I would try to investigate how the lights are wired, It is not good to have that much current going through small gauge wire. If it heats up to hot then it may contact frame and start a fire. Good luck.

http://www.cirent.com "Bubba Tub" 1977 K10 d60-14ff Np203,th350,350 Stock,6" lift,39.5" SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode