Best Winter Truck tire - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 12:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best Winter Truck tire

I have a 89 GMC suburban R1500 up here in the snow belt of Ontario, and wanted to know some of the better brands of tires for snow (winter use only, not year round) for my burb. I know tall and skinny is best, but now wanted some good name brands. I have been looking at buckshot mudders and BFG AT KO's. Also, i am told the 89 Suburban will take a 285/75/16 so will a skinny 32" tire of a different size fit in the as well? Thanks for any advice and info.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 01:56 PM

Re: Best Winter Truck tire

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If you're looking for winter only tires, you might want to have a look around the local tire places that offer snow tires. The different compound of rubber gives superior traction to about everything... On ice you don't want M/T or STT style tires. I have the Cooper STT's on my S truck and I've had no trouble at all in ice, but then again I drive really carefully, although a little fast sometimes... Just have to use smooth braking and steering and accelerating though, and it's fine... Been in up to 2' of snow with them (235/75/15's) on my S truck, and although the front end was plowin' some snow, it made it's way through there just fine... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just some snow that I've been in... But I'd check out what Cooper has, http://www.coopertires.com </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 07:17 PM

<font color=blue>My dad has a set of 235/85R16 (About 32 inchs tall) Cooper CTD's for winter, They grab very well! We've pulled our travel trailer through a foot and a half to 2 feet of snow with these tires and haven't gotten stuck yet! Yes tall and skinny is pretty much what you want, Unless you're goin to be doing some winter wheeling in 3+ feet of snow, Where you'd want a wider tire so you'll stay on top.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>He's not hammerd, He's "Enjoying Life" There's a big differance![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 09:42 PM
treemagnet

I run Yokohama 742S winter tires only in winter and live in BC, Canada where we get a good 4 months of snow. I had them siped and they have excellent traction. As well, they are very long lasting, as I have 4 winters on them, and they are only worn to about 65%! Mine are 7.00/15 radials, and are 8plys, very resistant to rock cuts. The 16" tires are 7.5" wide.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 10:29 PM
deepnsteeP

I've got Yokahama's on mine too. They seem to work pretty well in the snow. I don't think that I have gotten stuck with them yet. Yet! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Yokahamas seem to wear really well and have a good sidewall as well. The set I have are a pretty good all around tire. My truck drives really well on the interstate as well for an '80. I can't remember the model or anything on them right now or I would tell ya.

Edelbrock Performer Series intake and carb, Tri-Y headers, K&N filter, 2 1/2" dual exhaust, 14 bolt FF rear.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BFG AT KO'S they go better than any tire i have seen in the snow i live in northern new england and run 35 12.50 's and go any where and everywhere my buddy has 31 10.50's with no prob plus he plows with them ive tried everything from swampers to perelli's and bfg at's are the best

when in dount, let er feed
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 07:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] We have a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee and until recently lived at 4500 feet where the snow is sometimes as much as three feet deep and WET! We have used COOPER DISCOVERER tires on it the last two times......we change at 65,000 mile intervals.....and they hold onto our very steep driveway like a cat's paw! Our FS GM 3/4T has Cooper AT's with basically a hiway tread for high load capability, but it STILL does real good in the snow. The Cooper tires on the Cherokee look like the pattern that first came out on the unstoppable-in-snow Goodyear Wrangler. It has sort of a Gorilla skin pattern.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode