6.2L diesel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

6.2L diesel

i got my chance to buy a 84 silverado c-20 4x4 lb and i know diddly about the 6.2L, is it worth a toot?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 6.2L diesel

If it's been taken care of...and you don't mind a general lack of acceleration - sure. Mine works fine. Parts are a bit more expensive. By the way, is it a C-20 or a 4x4 (K20)?

'83 Blue 'Burban K10, 4" with 35's, 6.5l oilburner, 700R4/208
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the ad reads:
'84 Cheverolet Silverado c-20 LB, fully loaded, 6.2L diesel eng. needs some repair, very good shape, $1500
so watcha think, i am looking for a diesel 4x4 work truck with a 4 or 5 speed manual

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Double check it is 4x4, if you need it.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i just called the fella back, he stated he was mistaken on being a 4x4 because of the 8 lug bolt pattern, ????? go figure, but he just told me that it want crank now, he thought it has a blown head gasket, but it won't even turn over. i might just let this one pass

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd pass just because parts are spendy.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks, i think i'll do that> pass
but let's get back to the core question, is the 6.2l a good moto ?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 02:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I haven't had problems with mine. I've heard stories, but I think most folks get them mixed up with the old 350 gas conversion diesels that GM made a while back. The 6.2 and 6.5 diesels were created as a strictly diesel motor with the Detroit Diesel Co. They're not the most powerful, but I haven't got stuck yet (knocking on wood), and have pulled a few people out of being stuck. There are differences between the electronically controlled injection pumps and the mechanically controlled ones (I hear you may need an FSD cooler for the electronically controlled ones). There are a few performance options out there also, but not nearly as many as for a gas motor. If it helps any, the Humvee's that the American military uses are mostly powered by the 6.5l diesel from GM.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey sounds like this is what i am looking for. i want to pull and hard.
4x4 is a must, gobs and gobs low end needed
i need it for pulling log trailers, but i just ain't to keen on autos, did any come with manuals?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm sure some did, and I hear that it's no too hard to swap in one if the one you get has an auto trans. How big are the log trailers? 6.2L's aren't too well known for HUGE pulling power - a (gulp) Dodge with the Cummins diesel might be better suited (although people pull travel trailers and car trailers with the GM's). But I still believe they are a good engine.(might be better with manual trans - GM diesels are somewhat notorious for 'burning up' the GM 700R4 auto trans).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode