Off Roading Forums banner

Trans Failure

948 views 12 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
The u-joint at the rear of my tranfer case failed and has caused the adapter between the trans and tranfer case to crack and possibly the rear of trans housing to crack. The vehicle is a '99 1/2 ton suburban with the 4L60E and NP241 transfer case.

Needless to say this happened at 80 mph on the freeway so there is internal damage to the the transmission requiring rebuild due to the rapid loss of trans fluid.

The mechanic at the trans shop said that this is not uncommon for the 4L60E/NP241 combination (k-1500 vehicles, tahoes, suburbans). Of course the dealer has never heard of this before and at 50,000 miles i'm on my own for repairs.

Anybody ever here of this before, and if so any luck getting warranty coverage after 36,000 miles?

Seems like a pretty poor design when a $25 u-joint failure can cause the failure of a $2,000 transmission.

G
#2 ·
Well, I feel your pain. My '97 'Hoe is on her 3rd 4L60E. 1st one went out at 39k, 2nd went out 18k later, and we are all praying that this one holds up until I have the cash to rebuild it like the factory should have!!

As far as the warranty, unless you know John Cockrin (or any real good lawyer) I don't think any of us can help you!! Your best move is to tow her to a speed shop and have them rebuild it right. Personally, I would avoid the dealership foreever, especially since your truck is outta warranty now. G'luck.

-Ut

G
#3 ·
I hear you about the dealership. They quoted me $1600 for a straight rebuild (clutches and bands only, no hard parts) I've got it at an independent trans shop now who is saying $1100 for a straight rebuild.

I made it real clear to the guy that I tow a 3000 pound boat and am willing to spend some money for upgrades that will make the trans more reliable - I figure thats cheaper than rebuilding the trans again next year.

Sure wish I would have gone for the 3/4 ton. The guy at the trans shop said he hasn't seen any of them with this problem. Unfortunately nobody seems to think the 4L80E can be swapped in without major rework of the computer controls system.

If you are on your 3rd rebuild maybe you should look at a built up 700R4 or some of the trannies by Jet or Performance Transmission. What lead to the failure on your trans? Towing, off roading, big tires. engine mods? Was it ever related to u-joint failure?

Good Luck to you.

'66 Jeep CJ-5 (in pieces, in the garage)
'99 Suburban - daily driver

G
#4 ·
From what I've heard the 4l80E swap can be done, but it is pretty painfull and rrequires a new computer. I wish I knew this before, too!

My tray failure is a mystery. I bought the truck used and right of the lot she was slamming into 2nd. Under the 3k used vehicle warranty, I had them replace it with a stock 4L60E (the dealer would't even consider rebuilding or swapping or upgrading or anything like that).

I only towed ONCE withe the 2nd trany (Large Uhaul trailer, FULL) but it was only about 600 miles. Plus I have a trany cooler (factory). Other than a K&N FIPKit and a B&M electronic shift improver, the truck is a bone stock 2WD Tahoe.

I don't think it was eevry related to u-joint failure, more likely a bad valve body. And I'm not surre if I can swap in a 700r4 and still be legal in Cali.

-Ut

G
#6 ·
Gotta lube those bad boys or they will come apart evertime, especially at high way speed. At least let the oil change place do it if you don't. Make sure the new u-joint has a zerk fitting , some cheapy ones are permenantly lubed. look on the bright side at least your truck didn't flip over when the shaft hit the ground. Good luck.

http://www.cirent.com "Bubba Tub" 1977 K10 d60-14ff Np203,th350,350 Stock,6" lift,39.5" SS

G
#7 ·
I got GM to pay for my first 4l60e. It went @ 48k. My second one went @ 110k. I'm now on 146k, and it's all good. I had the last one built to the hilt, 10 clutches in the 3-4 band, HD servo pistons, shift kit, larger pump, and stainless sprag. As well as an extra clutch in reverse. Cost me about 1400 bucks. Find a performance shop, most of them will build them pretty good is you ask.

Rhino

PS-I also bought a oversize pan from summit for 100 bucks. It's aluminum, and holds 2 extra quarts, don't forget about a front tranny cooler too.

G
#8 ·
A guy I work with has a `99 1/2 ton Silverado. I think his first tranny went at less than 8k miles. The dealer rebuilt it and she lasted about another 4k, at which time the dealer put in a new-in-box tranny from GM. No problems since. I don't know what his tranny failure was caused by. He didn't tow anything and never had it off road.

If shortcuts were easy, they would just be The Way/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G
#9 ·
Hey Rhino,

Can you give me som insight on how hard it ws to get GM to pay for you first rebuild at 48K? Did you have repairs made at a GM dealer? How much did you have to argue with them?

Service manager at my dealer was not willing to ofer any coverage. He said he went to the GM area warranty manager and still no go. Now I'm trying to get him to give me the name of the area manager so I can chew on his ear for a while.

The factory u-joints on my sub were "non-serviceable", meaning no zerk to shoot grease into. Fortunately the failure was not complete, and the driveshaft did not break free. That would have been really exciting at 80 mph!

'66 Jeep CJ-5 (in pieces, in the garage)
'99 Suburban - daily driver

G
#10 ·
It took 4 days of talking for GM to agree. I talked to the service manager, regional manager, then the Customer service manager, and quality control. My basic line was that my family had always bought chevy trucks, (and we have) my grandfather has a 49, dad has a 72 with 44k original miles, and my 94. I told them if this was the new breed of quality, they could have their truck back. Sure as [censored]...I got my truck back in a week with a new tranny.

Rhino

G
#12 ·
Undertow-

When he had to make out a will about 3 years ago, he asked what I wanted...I said if anything, I wanted the truck (72, 1/2 ton, longbed 350 2wd), and his 70 442 Indy Pace Car Convertible, along with the snapon chest. He's got a couple others, but those two are my favs. The truck is clean enough to do open heart surgery on. =)

Rhino

G
#13 ·
hmm, bummer... new plan, how 'bout this:

Arrange for Rhinos dad to have an 'accident', befreind RhinoZ71, get him slopppy drunk, have him sign over the '72 for the cost of another round of drinks - flawless!!!

joking, of course - I'd at least buy 2 rounds!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif You a lucky man! I think shewheeler could use you in Tahoe!

-Ut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.