hard shifting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hard shifting

i was at a friends house lastnight and i was parked on a hill, when i went to leave i couldnt get my truck out of park?? i had to have 2 of my buddies come out and rock my truck up the hill to get my truck to come out of park and into reverse?? what would cause this and how do i fix it??

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: hard shifting

Mud Rat,

That is the nature of the beast. And a good way to tear up your transmission. The best thing to do is when you are on a hill like that. Before you put it in Park, Apply your parking brake so the truck dosen't roll, and then put it in park. This takes all the stress off of your transmission. A 350THM will not take that for very long without giving it up. I know.

Powerstroke

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 05:32 PM
whitetail204

I heard that sh!t. Powerstroke is correct. I also learned about that the hard way. I almost always parked on a hill when i was hunting in my old truck and had to yank it out of park without thinking about the conseqinces.(i was temporarily insane)Anyway my trans was destroyed.

<font color=green> If it's brown..It's goin down!</font color=green>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 06:14 PM
Veteran

How does the parking gear work???
My 1st vehicle was a '74 Maverick that my mom had. The parking gear did not work, but all others were OK. "P" was just a spare "N" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

JaxZ71
94 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT, 16x8 AR Nitro, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Trailmaster 4" lift.
Lousy glasspacks and rusted Westin step bars [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode