My Drivetrain upgrade is near completion! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Drivetrain upgrade is near completion!

I am almost finished with my latest mods. My 1978 GMC Suburban now has a fresh THM 400, Rebuilt 203, 4:10 ratio GM 14 Bolt rear FF with locker and a Dana 44 Front which I replaced every bearing, gasket, and seal in each. I also installed a 4" Superlift, new shocks, and rerouted my brake lines. New Rear driveshaft and every u-joint has been replaced from the front bumper to the rear. From the frame down, everything is painted and looks awesome. From the frame up, it looks like hammered dog crap. Except the engine of course. It's a GM Goodrich 250 horse 4 bolt 350. Soon to be a 383 Stroker next summer.

All have new gear lube or oil in every component and ready to go. My tires should be in by Friday, Q-78 Swamper TSL's 35.5x9.50 16's.

I did every bit of the rebuilding myself, and turned every nut and bolt on the whole project myself. The only thing I had help with was bleeding the brakes.

Is there anything I am forgetting or need to check before it comes off of the jack stands?

Powerstroke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 12:11 PM
72dreamer

Re: My Drivetrain upgrade is near completion!

your burb's sounding pretty impressive. pics are probably soon to follow, huh? i have a ? for you about your tires.

how did you come to find out the q-78 tsl's were 35.5x9.5x16? did the tire seller specify or is there a table converting those odd callouts?

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pics will come soon.

My tire guy told me and I confirmed it by calling Natnl. Tire & Wheel. Did you hear different?

Powerstroke.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 12:37 PM
72dreamer

no i haven't heard at all actually. then they (distributors) must be supplied with a chart or something.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is the story. I have always been a fan of tall skinny tires. I was talking to the guy that owns the off road shop down the road. I was talking to him about my project and asked him about tires. He said the Q-78 was made for lifted duallys and fit well on the dual rims. They are not very popular since they are so skinny and 90% of his customers hate it when they drive down a gravel road. I had him order me a set.

By the way, That is a bad A$$ 72. I have one myself. Do you need any thing for it?

Powerstroke

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 05:19 PM
72dreamer

what? no. i wish.
i don't own a '72 truck. yet! i dream of owning one someday, hence the name.
preferably a 4x4 but a 2 wheel drive short bed or stepside will do fine as well. that's just my most favorite body style ('67-'72)!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hear-Hear!! I would gladly trade my 'Burban for another with that bodystyle. I've seen a Blue/White one with a 4"-6" lift running around Renton, WA and drooled every time...

'83 Blue 'Burban K10, 4" with 35's, 6.5l oilburner, 700R4/208
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 06:02 PM
72dreamer

i have an '83 2wd silverado and the idea of swapping body styles has crossed my mind. i certainly wouldn't do it myself but i've often wondered how feasible it would be. would probably be better off buying one.
ox you could swap yours for the old burb style. a lifted '72 burb would be cool!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode