I'm Back!!!! Only 1300 posts to look through! :P - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I\'m Back!!!! Only 1300 posts to look through! :P

Hey everyone. Got back from New Zealand yesterday afternoon. Had a great time. It was great being there, seeing my fiance, and meeting people and doing things. Let me tell you guys, if you ever get a chance to go to New Zealand, go for it! The country is beautiful, the people are friendly, the food is great, the women are gorgeous, and, a plus for Americans, the exchange rate is very favourable for the US dollar.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I really had a great time.
Anyways, just thought I would share that and some pictures of a little bit of offroading I did there. On Sunday, July 29th, I went on a river run with a bunch of people I know over there. We went up the Selywn River, which is near Christchurch, for a few hours. I had a really great time. It was cool because they don't care if you drive in the rivers, as long as you don't go above the high water marks. Can't even think of taking your truck into a river here.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Okay, on to the pictures:

This is a group photo. From left to right we have an early '90's 2 door Toyota Land Cruiser that we didn't get in the States, 2 highly modified mid '80's Toyota HiLux Surf's (4Runners here), a mid '80's Toyota HiLux DoubleCab (yes, you could get those pretty much everywhere but here a long time ago), a 2 door Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero here, but I don't think we ever had 2 doors, and I must say, for a torsion bar IFS truck, it had a lot of travel), a 2 door Range Rover, and two Isuzu MU's (stands for Mystery Utility, don't ask us, the Japanese named it, they come up with some pretty weird names for their cars elsewhere, it's the Amigo here). There was a Nissan Patrol in the line up also, but unfortunately it got cut out of the photo. For those who are curious, here's a photo of a 2 door Nissan Patrol, similar to the one with us:

They're pretty cool. Same size as a Land Crusier if you are familiar with those. 2 and 4 door versions. Usual engine is a 4.2L I6 gas or 4.2L I6 diesel. Coil sprung solid axles, manual hubs, some have a factory PTO winch and bullbar, electronic lockers, electronic sway bar disconnects, and several other goodies I would love for the US automakers to put on our 4x4's.

This is one of the HiLux Surf's throwing some rocks. He tried and tried, but the pile was nothing but loose rocks. The Simex Centipedes (similar to Swampers) just dug in and sank.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] He really gave it a go though, the Holden (Buick) 3.8 V6 bouncing off the rev limiter and his clutch screaming. It was pretty cool to watch as long as you weren't behind him.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

This is the Land Cruiser coming out of part of the river. The water wasn't really that high, but that ment we had a lot of gravel, loose rocks, dirt, and berms to play on and in.

This is a MU showing off why most IFS sucks, usually. Notice the lack of travel and him being cross axled on something rather easy. A locker and some sway bar disconnects would fix this.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My truck's in the same situation, so I didn't laugh to much.

Anyways, it's good to be back and I will be on here once again. Just gotta sort through all these posts.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It sucked leaving her to come back to the stupidity of the people I work for in the Marines.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] However, I have slightly less than 2 months left in the Marines.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Then on to Michigan. MOO here I come!

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 11:33 AM

Re: I\'m Back!!!! Only 1300 posts to look through! :P

<font color=blue>Wecome back!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Glad you had a good time! And all that other nice happy stuff[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>He's not hammerd, He's "Enjoying Life" There's a big differance![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 01:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome back. Awesome pics! The 2 door montero was avalible over here as the Montero and the Dodge Raider. I had a 1988 montero, Very capable vehicle. Like a tank under neath too. All skid plated with thick steel. It is no samurai but it held its own off road. I have alot of pictures of it but no scanner. Sadly most pics of it are air born, looking back on it I feel kinda bad for the little thing. I finally rolled it on its roof. The only damage was when the tow truck cable sliped off and it broke the side rear window out. The roll bar inside the factory roof didn't budge. They dont make monteros like that anymore. They are all plastic and like $40k now. I miss it alot but I haven't got the money for another toy now. I am glad to see you had a great time. Looks like a great group of friends you have there. See ya. Found this pic, stock suspension. Mine was white.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-506889-Montero.jpg (47.7 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Yep, definately a Pajero/Montero Frank. They do seem to be good trucks. The newer ones drive nice and have lots of options, we rent them at Enterprise, but yeah, they suck for offroading, IFS and IRS now.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] They also got rid of the electronic locker they had for a while.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Definately a bunch of cool people. I know them from a New Zealand 4x4 forum, and they were just as cool to me in person as they were over the computer. They guy I rode with picked me up, took me along, brought lunch and drinks, and dropped me off without expecting anything from me.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] He even helped me later on in the week by giving me some wreckers (NZ for junkyard) phone numbers so I could fix my fiance's Suburu.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are those Sammy's behind the nissan in the mud?? One has its door open? I noticed that montero(Raider) has a V-6 mine was a I-4. I pulled a 2000lb sail boat all over the state with no problem. I remeber it had a inclimeter(?) on the dash showing side to side angle as well as front to back. My friends called it the Oh Sh*t gauge because I would always yell OH SH*T when it would max out. I remember after I rolled it the little picture was upside down in the gauge too. Fitting. I guess you are caught up now on post, glad to have you back. I am likely to be laid off on Saturday bTW. Really sucks but I guess thats what I get for working in this industry. Heres the site that gives us news on the business moves. http://www.ibew2000.org See Ya.

http://www.cirent.com "Bubba Tub" 1977 K10 d60-14ff Np203,th350,350 Stock,6" lift,39.5" SS
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Frank, bummer on the job man. I want to be a pilot "when I grow up". Figure that job field is always looking for more people.

Yeah, those are Sammy's in the back of those pictures. Couldn't tell you what kind, but I know they have several kinds over there that we never got. It's that way with a lot of cars/trucks over there. When I get the time, I'll scan and post some pictures of a car I got to ride in that makes me insanely jealous of the car buyers in Austraila and New Zealand.

What makes you think that Pajero was a V6? Just curious because I looked at the photos and can't figure out what made you think that. Actually, it had a diesel. I think it was an I4. Most of their trucks over there are diesels. Diesel being 66 NZ cents a litre while gas is like $1.09 NZ a litre.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

By the way, what the heck is that picture in your signature?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 03:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The pic that I sent was a V-6. 1989 I think it was option. Then they got bigger and went down hill later years. Pajero's are diesel as far as I knew. It was kinda the dream truck when I was looking into mods for montero. think I would get a Sammy before the montero now because of the aftermarket in sammy stuff has really taken off. Plus the solid axles and 4 leaf springs make them easy to build. I will know saturday about job. See ya.

http://www.cirent.com "Bubba Tub" 1977 K10 d60-14ff Np203,th350,350 Stock,6" lift,39.5" SS
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 03:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BTW, it is the picture off my companies home page. It is a 8" wafer containing about 1000 microchips. It is being robotically inserted into a storage box, and the dude in the back is in clean room garb. The link has bigger pic.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Ohhhh.....okay, I still can't see it, but I don't know a whole lot about older Monteros/Raiders/Pajeros. Now I understand what you were saying.

Pajero's come in diesels and "petrol"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] models. The diesels are just a little more practical for the average NZ 4x4 truck consumer.

The Sammy's are pretty cool, but I just can't drive something that small. Toyotas are about as small as I really would go.

So what is that thing in your sig?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Nevermind, you just answered my question.

Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode