Air Intake switch..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Air Intake switch.....

well, AJM and i switched air intake systems....i pretty much got done with puttin' the ram air setup on my truck. i just need to adjust the vent tube - AJM, the thingy is out tomorrow [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] ...i forgot to send him a connector for the TBI/ventube...lol oops [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] anyway, here are the pics.

i was running around a couple days without the tubing on 'cause we were fabbing the passenger side fender connector. in those days, i found that the truck was a little shy on power. the 1st to 2nd shift felt really weak...especially 2nd gear acceleration. i took the truck out tonight to see how it ran. the truck pulls a lot better now. i notice it especially in the 1st to 2nd shift...and 2nd gear acceleration has a good push behind it. anyway...here are the pics...

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Last edited by Shorts; 03-08-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Re: Air Intake switch.....

passenger side bracket...the connector tube was inserted through a .25" piece of metal. then the inside and outside edges were siliconed for a tight seal. then i spray painted the thing black.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

driver's side...this connection was a PITA...mainly because we removed the grill so we could insert some screws in a few tabs on the connector. that way i wouldn't have to worry about the thing coming loose. anyway, i wish i would have gotten some pics from the front of the tube whn i had the grill off...but, this will have to do for now [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 05:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That came out really good. As you may know I bought the stuff to do a snorkle but I am having a tough time routing 4" pipe through cab. 4" doesnt look that big next to 6" and 8" in the store. I need it to come up behind the cab and the intake will stick up over the roof. I may have to run two 2" pipes instead. I will have to look into mixture adjustment since it will likely run rich after this. Again yours looks great. See ya.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

two 2" pipes won't flow the same ammount of air as one 4". Be sure you know your cfm requirments and do the math before you install it.

-Ut
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about you do the math??? LOL. 10ft of 4" pipe into K&N filter with forward mounted scoop on roof. Edelbrock 650cfm plain jane carb. Putting spring loaded needles and seats in while it is apart. I think it should be ok. I cant imagine it being restrictive with 4" pipe. Thanks.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 07:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BTW Shorts, looks good. Almost thought I was looking at AJM's rig until I saw the paint job!

Frank, your fine with the 4".

I was refering to the idea of using two 2" - example:

a 4" tube 12" long has a volume of ~150.78cu/in.
a 2" tube 12" long has a volume of ~37.7 cu/in.

So you would need two 2.8" - 3.0" pipes to equal the same volume as one 4" - same theories apply to airflow (CFM).

http://www.1728.com/diam.htm

-Ut
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cool, I have never planned any mod for my truck,and never has any forethought gone into any of my projects. didn't want to start now.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 11:27 PM
Veteran

Sounds very familiar Frank, thats how all my other buildups have been. But things have changed since I started working on the puller. Now I think it thru 1000 times before I start something, just to be on the safe side of things and to make sure I'm not just wasting my money. Thinking really hard right now actually about just using a D44 instead of a D60 in the front for the simple reason although the D60 is stonger I am sure the D44 will be ok. And I can buy 4 D44's for the price of 1 D60 with change to spare.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 11:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whats the axle diameter difference like 1/8" or something? I would have kept my D44 looking back on it now too. Not to mention the weight and anguish to get the D-60 in. Good move.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode