My NP-205 died!!!???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My NP-205 died!!!????

I went offroading and the 4x4 was doing awesome, then after a few minutes, my 4low didn't turn the fronts!! It just grinds and screeches! I am still able to drive the rears. The front diff is okay so it must be the transfer case right? I thought the 205 was supposed to be super heavy duty? How much should I expect to pay to repair/rebuild this??

1977 fullsize pickup,350ci. edelbrock carb, headers, oversize radiator, 4sp SM465/NP-205, 12bolt, 6" lift, 35" tires, cd deck, 2 amps, Bazzookas, 2 gas tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 05:58 PM

Re: My NP-205 died!!!????

<font color=blue>Yes the 205 is one of the strongest t-case's made. One thought that comes to my mind, On whats wrong with it, Is that maybe the shift linkage is not alined properly, And so the case is not fully engageing. You did say it was working, So that whould also tell me maybe it popped itself out of gear, And that whould also point to the shifter linkage in my mind. Others should have other ideas, Hope this helps.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>He's not hammerd, He's "Enjoying Life" There's a big differance![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well the shifter is reeeeallllly sloppy and the trail (with my susp.) was the bumpiest ride I've ever been in so maybe you are right. But it grinds in 2H but I am able to drive it. I can shift into 4L and I feel the ratio increase, but the grinding is still there and only the rear wheels turn. I would think its the linkage if it didn't go into high gear but it does, just that the fronts don't pull so I think I've damaged something internal.

1977 fullsize pickup,350ci. edelbrock carb, headers, oversize radiator, 4sp SM465/NP-205, 12bolt, 6" lift, 35" tires, cd deck, 2 amps, Bazzookas, 2 gas tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, your right, linkage needs adjusting. Follow the instructs in the haynes giude it will fix you up. I use 4 low almost all the time so I biased the linkage towards the four low on my 203. I keeps it from jumping out of gear. Also check the mounting bolts of the shifter to T-case, If they get lose it will affect 4lo.Good luck.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

guys, I'll tell you EXACTLY what its doing and then tell me if you still think its just the linkage...

In 2H I start going and I hear a grinding clanking sound in the T-case then above 30 mph or so it turns into a high pitch screech with no more grinding.

In 4L it DOES change into the crawling ratios and the rears turn just fine, but the fronts don't. Still the grinding and screetching as I go faster.

When I put the 2nd shifter into neutral, there is no grinding/noise at all, it just quietly coasts.

I know I have at least one bolt loose on the back part of the front driveshaft.
The 4L worked perfectly and I didn't even really get into anything hairy that could break a 4L.
The susp.on the truck is f-ed and way too harsh for offroading so the truck ride was EXTREMELY bumpy, enough to definitely shake things apart.

Still think its could be the linkage?? If it just isn't engaging correctly then why the same exact grinding in 4L AND 2H?
Why would I get low gear on the backs still?

much thanks for the info

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Still linkage IMHO, one link does hi-lo one link does 2wd 4wd and the 2wd-4wd linkage is only halfway,broke off,jammed or really out of adjustment. For Poops and giggles check the fluid level too. I have a P/T 203 I know they are simular except you can double stick yours and I cant, Plus I have a 2wd lo setting.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok im assuming you have a twin stick conversion if you got two shifters , depending on how the conversion was done you could have serious trouble ive been looking into this alot as im planning to do it. ive found out that if the detent pills were removed during the conversion it is possible to shift into 4 hi front 4 lorear wich is a real problem the case must be torn down and manually reset then put the detents back in

when in dount, let er feed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode