tire problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

tire problems

I originally had an alignment problem that got corrected when I purchased my 98 Z71 but after rotating recently, I found that the tires on the front pull to the right or left depending on what side I put them on. The tread is fairly deep and given the price of tires, I would like to see if I can correct the problem somehow. The tires are Goodyear Wrangler RT/S which I good get for about $120 a tire. Is it illegal to shave tires anymore? Should I just run them on the back and switch sides every time it is time to rotate? Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:02 AM

Re: tire problems

I don't know how it relates to you just changing the tires, but I had the same problem on my tow rig when I put aftermarket rims and tires on it. I took it back to the shop where I bought them from and they told me the back spacing was the cause, and fixed on the spot.

May not be any help, but it's something to chew on

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I am not sure what you mean by back spacing. Do you have dual wheels on the rear and is that what you are talking about? The tires that were previously on the front are fine because they were on the rear when I had the alignment problem. Now that I have moved the ones that were on the front during the alignment problem back to the front, it has started pulling. I have even bumped up the tire pressure on the side that it pulls towards and it helps slightly but I can't drive down a straight road with my hands off the wheel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 10:35 AM

My truck pretty much did the same thing. When I first got the rims and tires put on, it had a slight pull to the right. It didn't pull enough to get me to fix it. After I rotated the tires it pulled to the left quite a bit. It didn't take me long at all to get it to the shop considering it was pulling into oncoming traffic. All they did was stick some spacers behind the rim and it cured the problem. How that worked, I have no idea, but it did the job. I'm far from being an expert on tires but it sounds you're truck is doing the same thing mine was. It would be worth calling a shop and asking them about it. As soon as I told the shop down here what was going on, they knew exactly what the problem was and fixed it.
Hope I'm some kind of help.
Oh ya, nope on the dual wheels.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 11:27 AM

wrangler rt/s....hmmm, i hated those tires..... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

keep the regular rotation of the tires.

anyway, i don't know if i'm reading your post right, but if you had the tires on the rear and now they are in the front, then the deal might be that the tires on not rounded on the outside edge of the tire yet. the tread on the rear tires tend to stay pretty level across the pattern....so when you put them up front, the edges catch all the little grooves in the road. until the tires get broken in a little more by being on the front(turning), then they'll pull.

or i could just be talking out of my ear..... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

as for the alignment, what's the problem? is the shop able to align the truck? anyhow, check your idler and pitman arms and see if they're snug. check your ball joints and make sure they're ok as well.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

The tires that I moved from the rear to the front were originally on the front when I got the truck and it had the alignment problem. When I got it aligned, I rotated the tires because of the uneven tread wear. It was time to rotate again and that is when I discovered the problem with the tires that were on the front in the beginning. I moved one orig. front back to the rear last night and it still pulls. I may try switching the other original front tire with the one I just moved last night and see if it still pulls to determine if it is one or both original front tires. I am trying to see if the toe on one side caused only one tire to pull or if they both pull. I think the alignment is fine now because the tires that were originally on the rear do not pull.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 11:57 AM
72dreamer

sooooo......front to rear tire swap for 4x4? none of that criss-cross stuff happening? i haven't checked the owner's manual on this one yet.

i know 3/4 and 1 ton trucks use spacers to match the rear wheel spacing to the front. there's something like a 1.5" difference. i don't think the same applies to 1/2 tons (with 1/2 ton rear axle).

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm following the manual's recommended rotation pattern.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 12:21 PM

criss-cross is the norm on a 4x4, right? that's how i do it. the fronts go to the rear on the same side, and the rears cross and go forward.

anyway, tire wear can cause the alignment to be reset. so, when you do rotate the tires after so long, the alignment might need to be reset as well.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 12:35 PM
72dreamer

according to my manual shorts, you're backwards.

fronts to rear and cross, rear to front and same side.

no mention of 4x4s, only duallys.

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode