TH400&NP208 Fluid Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TH400&NP208 Fluid Question

With a Turbo 400 and NP208 is the fluid a shared entity? I know that they both use ATF. BUT is it the same ATF. I.E. if my trans case is leaking will it show on the transmission dip stick?

Thanks,
Shane Bevel

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TH400&NP208 Fluid Question

I'm not sure about the TH400/NP208, but I do know firsthand the fluid IS a shared entity on the later model trucks. We had an Ethanol powered 99 Silverado with a Vortech on it..long story short, it ate 2nd gear in the trans. When we tore down the 4L60/NP246(?) the same nasty, burnt tranny fluid was also in the transfer case.

If you don't have an answer in a day or two, I'll ask my buddy with an 87 'Burban.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 03:57 PM

Too late....I have an '87 Suburban w/ TH400 and NP208. I just recently installed a used T-case. The fliud is not shared. There is a seal on the input shaft of the T-case and a gasket is used between the two. I used RTV Black when I put the used one in because I didn't know about the gasket and once I had it apart, I had no way to get to a parts store anyway. I did do a fluid change on both while I was at it. I put a 50/50 mix of ATF and Lucas oil stabilizer in the T-case. It works good.

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 04:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help!

Damnit man!

Anybody replaced the seal on the front output shaft of the 208 trans case? Mine is leaking.

Hoping I could buy some time by just toping it off, but hell If I am getting under there to top off the transcase every week!!

Thanks,
Shane Bevel

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 05:44 PM

Not fer nuthin' but if the front seal is leaking, it's leaking into your trans. Does the dipstick show it overfilled? Too much fluid is just as bad as not enough in an automatic.
It's pretty easy to do. I didn't even use a floor jack. I took it out by hand and layed it on my chest. The seal is just like the output shaft seal or a grease seal on a front hub. Pry it out with a screwdriver and tap the new one in with a small hammer. Prolly less than $5 plus fluid.

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front output to the front. axle, not to the transmission. But thanks anyways.

Now that I look at it it looks as though it might be leaking from the pan somewhere and just being blown back onto the t-case.

Thanks,
Shane Bevel

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:08 PM
Can't Get Enough

Mine was leaking there also. Try to tighten the nut that holds the yoke to the case. mine was so loose i could turn it by hand.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 08:40 AM
Blazer1970

It is very common for the rear seal to leak on the automatic transmissions, and the fluid will leak into the adapter, and then into the transfer case. This is why GM switched to using ATF in the later NP205s behind automatics. Better to have all ATF than a mixture of ATF and gear oil. This will also overfill the transfer case, causing it to leak.

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'01 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode