O/T Reasons to quit smoking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

O/T Reasons to quit smoking

I went out for a smoke break at work and was lazy so I decided to take the elevator up 1 floor. Dammit[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img], I got stuck in the elevator.

Fortunately, there was a working telephone and the 24 hour emergency number of the elevator company in there. I called the number and told them they needed to send someone out 'Cuz I'm trapped!!!!. It only took about 45 minutes for someone to show up and another 5-10 for them to open the door. I work 2nd shift and we were in the middle of a monthly bill run. I told the person I was working with that I would be back in 10 minutes...Boy was she surprised when I called from the elevator and told of my predicament. Thank God there was someone there to let the elevator repairman into the building!!!! (I normally work alone)
I work in Cincinnati in the "Over-The_Rhine" area. If you have heard about the shootings and riots in Cincy, it all happens within 3 blocks of where I work. I saw the beginning of the April riot from a conference room[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. I fugured if I called 911 they would tell me to hold tight until daybreak. Alone in a stuck elevator is the safest place to be downtown after dark [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JaxZ71
94 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT, 16x8 AR Nitro, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Trailmaster 4" lift.
Lousy glasspacks and rusted Westin step bars [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 03:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: O/T Reasons to quit smoking

Err, well, from the sound of your post it didn't sound quite like quitting was your intention, but I just quit smoking... about a week ago. I really do feel better, more energy to do stuff (I feel hyper!), no more coughing up that nasty crap in the morning, and no more $4/day habbit. The cravings really weren't that bad, Niccorette gum helped, and now a week later, I'm almost normal again.

I quit for a couple of reasons but a report by the tobacco industry to the government stating that tobacco helps shorten people's lives, thereby reducing medical bills really took the cake. As far as I'm concerned, RJR and PM can go out of business as thanks for their contribution to society.

Smoked for about 5 years.

If shortcuts were easy, they would just be The Way[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 08:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I watched three members of my family Die Horrible painfull deaths. All where avid and vocal pro smokers who change there tune after they realized they where dying or waiting too.
Cancer sticks will kill you and it never seems to be quick death but a long drawn out painfull one.
Any body who has dealt with Cancer and heart disease directly related to smoking will agree.
BC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 10:50 AM

Hey Quack_Addict... how'd you do it? Just with the gum? I quit for 8 months about 5 years ago and it (and I[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) was a bitch! Started thinking I could smoke just when I went out partying.... yah right[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]! Thinking I need to quit again, but it's tough. I hear Zyban works pretty good if you use it with the patch.

Cheryle

I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got stck in a elevator once, when I was like 12. Luckily I had a deck of cards in my pocket (and I wasn't smoking, yet!). I think it was my fault because I was alone in the thing jumping up and down (enjoying the ride) it it didn't like that. 2.5 hours later and probably like 60 games of Solitaire, they found me.

I need to quit too. The patch gave me a rash, so that didn't help. I actually quite for quite some timea few years back but a long road trip threw that out the window. I've been smoking for about 9 years (since I was 14...uhg!) and I already cough up some interestingly colored unmentionables! Can't walk up a flight of stairs without breathing heavy.

If you folks want a good way to quit, take a 2 week vacation, go camping, don't let any smokers go with you, and don't buy any smokes. Feel free to bring thepatch/gum for the edge. Stay active for rhte 2 weeks, and you'll break the habit.

Studies show that if you repeat something 18 times consecutavely or more, you risk it becoming a habbit. The beauty of this is that it applies to breaking habits, too.

-Ut
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know my mother inlaw quit using zyban and gum,alot has to do with staying away from other smokers and finding other ways to deal with stress.
BC

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

My grandma quit smoking when california added all of those taxes to ciggs a few years ago. She was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and told it had nothing to do with her smoking, so she said if she was dying already smoking wouldn't hurt anymore.

pics of the V30 which is still for sale or possible trade.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

there is no question that would go on a record-breaking binge (basically drugs sex rocknroll - essensials) if I was diagnosed with anything terminal.

However, since that isn't the case some degree of self-preservation is nessesary!

I think they recomend camping because unles you stumble onto a tobacco plant, your SOL.
-Ut
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:40 PM

My gf's dad quit by using zyban a few months ago...smoked from age 10 to 49. Now he's goofy as hell though, moves around a lot, acts like he has that thing Michael J Fox has that makes him move alot....parkinsons......

90K5

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:40 PM

My gf's dad quit by using zyban a few months ago...smoked from age 10 to 49. Now he's goofy as hell though, moves around a lot, acts like he has that thing Michael J Fox has that makes him move alot....parkinsons......

90K5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode