Who else hates dealerships - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Who else hates dealerships

Here is my story, long story short i broke my engine and needed a new one. My parents own my tahoe so they lent me the money to buy and engine, so i bought a 350 crate motor with 330hp for cost through some freinds. My parents insited that it be dealer installed and that they would pay for the install. So i took the car to my local chevy dealership and they decieded all by them selves without asking me that they didn't want to put the new engine in, because of various reasons. So they went a got a 255hp stock replacement in, which pissed me off like no other but i got over it. So i go and pick up the car today and my parents pay the $1800 instalation charge. When i got it home i noticed that they had broken the alam and the 4wheel drive system, so the car has to go back for yet more work.
What really pisses me off is that i have a freind who is amazing with cars and was willing to help me install the engine for about $800 less oh and i would have been able to put the 330hp engine in that way.

SO THAT IS WHY I F***ING HATE DEALERSHIPS

97 2dr Tahoe,All terrains,Flowmaster, more to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:54 PM

Re: Who else hates dealerships

Dude... what the hell is going on with that dealership??

What happened to the 330hp motor??

Didnt you sign an repair order for the install of the crate motor?? Dealerships cant arbitrarily (sp?) put another motor in at the drop of a hat. If they decided that, get back to the dealer and tell them to put your crate motor in. Any lip service, get some legal advice and get all your money back. If they have the motor, can you say grand theft??

Dont let them string you along... I work for a GMC dealership for 6 years. Treat them like a red-headed step child and get what you want, not what they think you want...

That really blows.......

95 4Runner..suzy stocker until tax return..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:56 PM
Veteran

I'd be curious to know what some of the "various reasons" are. Did they tell you why they wouldn't install it? Or just hand you some kind of BS?

It doesn't seem like there should be any real difference between the installation of the 2. But that's just me, I have never tried anything like that

JaxZ71
94 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT, 16x8 AR Nitro, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Trailmaster 4" lift.
Lousy glasspacks and rusted Westin step bars [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 07:16 PM

i'd raise some hell! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] so where's the engine??? how much less was the one they installed than the one you bought??

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mom and Dad changed the engine, not the dealership right? Just trying to understand. Being a Parent I dont think I would want my kid to have 330hp. Good luck with getting it fixed. I think dealerships are overpriced but they can be held accountable for fixing it now, your friend cant be.

http://www.cirent.com "Bubba Tub" 1977 K10 d60-14ff Np203,th350,350 Stock,6" lift,39.5" SS
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 10:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the reason they may have decided not to instal the 330 hp crate motor is that its (I think) a carbed motor with a lopey cam and will more than likely screw with the fuel injection system and would end up costing more because the inginition would have to b e reworked to work with the carbed motor.

Also the 330 hp figure is more than likely its peak power 5500-6000 rpm, something it probably wouldnt see in the tahoe.

this is all kinda a guess, but from what ive seen with the 330hp motors is their not fuel injected, and most hp figures are taken when the motors wrapped out.

Evan

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 11:25 PM

Major Bummer. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The only time my parent's send their '94 Olds in to the dealership is to make repairs that I can't.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] All the rest of our vehicles are under the loving care of myself. Maybe that's why they're both rusting gently.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
I AM <font color=red>CA</font color=red><font color=white>NADI</font color=white><font color=red>AN</font color=red>!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the advise and kind words.

Here are the details, the engine produced its power and torque the same rpm as the stock engine. They told me that it was missing a computer hookup and was suppost to be carborated. Now all that and what ever other reasons they had could have been over come but i think it was just a little to complicated and iffy for them to get into. So i don't really mind them not putting it in. But what still pisses me off was that they didn't consult with me before they returned the engine and got the stock replacement. So anyway the new engine was $400 less so we are getting that money back.

97 2dr Tahoe,All terrains,Flowmaster, more to come.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 01:43 AM
Veteran

It all goes back to "Dude, What the hell is going on with that dealership?".....

Talk to the Service Dept manager and tell him that you are upset that they made a change to your work order without consulting you. If you don't get any satisfaction from them, then take it to the regional GM office in your area. It might be a bit of a hassle, but if you are calm and polite then they might just throw you a bone. (i.e. a free upgrade of some sort, a break on the labor, etc.). If you are happy with the new engine, tell them so, but don't let them forget that they should have consulted you on any changes

All these dealers like to advertise about their "Customer Satisfaction" rankings. Try to play that card.

Just my 2&cent

JaxZ71
94 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT, 16x8 AR Nitro, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Trailmaster 4" lift.
Lousy glasspacks and rusted Westin step bars [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 01:44 AM

If you go to any of the gm performance parts pages, all the crate motors say that they have to be used on pre-73 non smog vehicles because they are not smog legal. Could this be the reason?

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode