Inspection........... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 04:05 PM
Kendog454

Inspection...........

Well I had my truck inspected today......failed New York State emissions. HC - 387/300 allowable, CO 6.75%/3.00% allowable. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might lower emissions without breaking the bank in the process? I dont have cats, but with my old 350, HD emissions VIN code M my results were HC - 44/300, CO .75/3.00%....and yes this test was done legitimately.......but at any rate I was amazed. The shop where I had my exhaust job done spot welded the pipes so its gonna be very hard to get cats in there w/o gettin a whole new system..........and I dont wanna get a whole new system. My carb was too fat (Holley) so I leaned it out when I got the truck back. Now she idles at about 620 as opposed to like 950......and doesnt like to start up as easily as before (I have to tap the gas as I crank the engine or It'll fire on the first turn of the starter then die.) On the flip side, the exhaust smell is nowhere near as strong as it used to be, so i'm guessing that there are far fewer unburned hydrocarbons there, but I dont wanna bring it back to the station until i know i'll pass. As always, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(GVWR is 8001-9000 as per the vin number)

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 05:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Inspection...........

if the exhaust is just spot welded then it shouldnt be to hard to put a cat in there. If the spot welds are small enough you can use a hammer and chisel to break them, but if their bigger then you can grind them off, without hurting the exaust.
You should be able to find a cat off a newer chevy at the junk yard for cheap, or just look for any newer vehicle with a 3" universal fit type that way you can just take it off and throw it in your exhaust system. even iff its welded in you could have the yard cut the pipe so that it has enough off pipe left to have it expanded that way all youd have to do is cut yours and then slip the cat in and throw some clamps on it.
if yours is duall then youll just have to do it twice.
hope I made some sence.
Evan

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kid, I don't know why, but around here you can't buy a used cat. Jeg's http://www.jegs.com has some high preformance ones cheap. Get out the saws all, and cut the pipe & put the cat in. I think you may have to richen the carb up to run with cats. I really wouldn't use a used cat, as you may get one that is plugged up & burn a valve.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '87 Chevy 1t SWB in the making!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 05:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post deleted by jwduke

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:01 PM

speaking of inspection, mine was due in july [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

how much do they real check during the inspection, If they dont check to much could you mabe pull the air cleaner out before you have the test ran, so that itl burn leaner and alittle hotter and maybe be enough to burn more off the fuel.

Ive got a used cat on my truck that came off an 87 sub that was recently installed, I just made sure that I could see throught it, well see light throught it. since I installed it my trucks ran better, its one of those highflow ones cant remeber what brand though.
my buddy worked at the yard and he grabbed it so Im not sure you can legally get them used here either.

Evan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

try running a bottle of AMSOIL's Fuel System (I think its called "Redline")cleaner. 1 bottle s concentrated for 100 gallons, but you can run the whole thing to really clean up carbon deposits, and it can dramitacally improve your emissions. Just a thought. And its cheap.

-Ut
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 11:41 PM
Kendog454

My motor's got about 1100 miles on it though so I dont think the cleaner would do much. Thanks for the input, and I think I'll order 2 hi-perf cats and slap them on. If I am disappointed with the power droppage then I'll get pipes the length of the cat and keep them on till inspection date. Just think how long the cat will last with that method. Thanks again!

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 12:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think the cats will do nothing but please you

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeg's HP cats are not supposed to restrict your preformance.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '87 Chevy 1t SWB in the making!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode